A Peace River bone

Shellseeker

I have not been out too much this season, but the Peace River is certainly open for hunting. I went to a location that I had hunted many times, thinking I could recheck old sites for new fossils. I am currently water depth challenged, and the river was at least a foot deeper than I had remembered for this location.

The day was mostly non productive with a minimal number of small shark teeth, a single armadillo scute, and then this bone. I came very close to tossing it back in but thought that ridge/groove down the side could be a marker for one of my favorite fossils. I always am on the lookout for that groove.

I also might be imagining what I wish it to be,  I have done that before. Although I encourage and appreciate all comments, Let's also see what Bobby thinks... @Boesse

IMG_3720.thumb.jpg.c3aaff5992bbe123a53fdfff0bf55320.jpgIMG_3722.jpg.8a029dd94f086f581f2b25409d2d69de.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

You raised my curiosity. So I will have to follow to see the outcome. My only experience with a groove is from where the baleen was attached to the skull. Should have said jaw.

Looks like a section of baleen whale jaw to me Jack:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

1 hour ago, fossilnut said:

You raised my curiosity. So I will have to follow to see the outcome. My only experience with a groove is from where the baleen was attached to the skull.

1 hour ago, jcbshark said:

Looks like a section of baleen whale jaw to me Jack:)

Thanks for the comments; I am somewhat excited by this nondescript heavily fossilized bone.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/63327-finally-1st-since-jan-6th/

Two and a half years ago, I found a few baleen whale fossils, one of which was identified by Bobby in above thread as a tip of the jaw. That piece is 2.75 x 6.50 inches. 

I intensively searched the internet at the time and once again today for any other photo that clearly shows the attachment point of the baleen. I hope other TFF (Calvert Cliffs??? ) members have such photos.

Questions:

1) Is this maxilla or mandible or can not tell?

2) Is this bone also a tip of the jaw?

3) How small does this whale get? The bone is 4.75 inches long and 1.6 inches in height.

HalfMoonBay.jpg.055a3f88569c37b9557e8ff36c793bdc.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Well, I am going in well over my head, and I have found a bunch of papers.... Here is an interesting figure from one of Bobby's papers: Do you see the tip of the medial view (#10)...

That's a possibility..

In another thread, Bobby also indicated many of these Herpetocetus fossils (smallest Baleen whale) in Lee Creek...

SymphysealGrooveBoesse.JPG.b7075d8348cc0515ab3bdd8778ef6425.JPG

On 11/5/2018 at 9:05 AM, Shellseeker said:

Questions:

1) Is this maxilla or mandible or can not tell?

2) Is this bone also a tip of the jaw?

3) How small does this whale get? The bone is 4.75 inches long and 1.6 inches in height.

I am getting better at answering my own questions as I read more of Bobby's papers...

1) My bone is a mandible on the right side of the jaw. You can see the Alveoli socket groove on the top of the fossil.

2) This fossil is the tip of the mandible because that is the only location where the symphyseal groove moves downward.  Otherwise the SG traverses the length of the mandible.

I do not have an answer to #3,  but I am thinking 15-20 feet and likely this fossil comes from a juvenile.

This is fun !!:D

On 11/5/2018 at 12:02 PM, Shellseeker said:

Looking for extant small baleen whales: https://www.leisurepro.com/blog/explore-the-blue/5-smallest-whale-species/

The pygmy right whale is rare to see, therefore there is not much information on this small marine mammal. It is currently considered the smallest creature in the toothless baleen classification. Estimates suggest that calves are around five feet in length at birth, but they can reach 15 feet at full maturity. This is still considerably smaller than nearly every other type of marine mammal.

pygmy-right-whale.jpg.8def231cebedc57fc50cad0a7d7dba20.jpg

Also adding a photo of https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Piscobalaena_nana.jpg Piscobalaena is a related small baleen whale found in Peru and the Phosphate mines of Bone valley

1200px-Piscobalaena_nana_plio_inf2.jpg.0e42b588ba6e244ca1d6e264be31f769.jpg

I think all this makes sense, but there is still a lot of speculation and connect-the-dots on my part.... I am trying to get to the point of labeling this fossil as Herpetocetus .sp.  I am not quite there yet

Hey Jack, good thread. I like these marine discussions. I'm of no help but you've made me think about some pieces I've seen and tossed and wished now I could have a do over on.  I'll be interested in what Bobby can add/create a label for you. That beach photo is sad but insightful. 

Regards, Chris 

2 hours ago, Plantguy said:

I'm of no help but you've made me think about some pieces I've seen and tossed and wished now I could have a do over on. 

Regards, Chris 

Chris, I didn't think you ever tossed anything back!!!

30 minutes ago, Sacha said:

I think John’s right Chris.... I’ve seen it lol

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

2 hours ago, Sacha said:

2 hours ago, jcbshark said:

I think John’s right Chris.... I’ve seen it lol

Hey guys, occasionally my brain does say let it go...admittedly though its not often...if I pick it up the wonderment begins and ......its a disease. LOL. 

Good hunting!

Regards, Chris 

Archived