I need opinions: what would you do?

thelivingdead531

First, I apologize for the crummy pictures, the original listing was removed so I had to get screenshots from google images. 

Second, my conundrum. I purchased an unerupted baby mammoth tooth, as seen below, for a very low price and have been excited for it to come in. I received my package this evening with a note from the seller that they couldn’t locate that tooth so they shipped a better preserved tooth in its place, and if I’m not 100% satisfied with it then they will give me a full refund. While the tooth does seem to have better preservation, it’s not what I wanted nor ordered, as it’s a worn tooth.

I honestly wish they had emailed me ahead of time to see if I still wanted to go through with the transaction instead of just shipping something else in its place. The first images are what I ordered. The second is what I received. 

What at would you guys do? Keep the tooth that they sent, or ship it back for a refund? I really don’t want to pay shipping on an item I technically didn’t order, but I’d also rather have something more like what I wanted. I guess I want my cake and to eat it too. :shrug:

5F7F1D04-B016-4CAC-B284-2301F328A51F.jpeg

5B19BB61-6C55-4491-8061-F02F4BD64360.jpeg

BABE4BE9-F851-4667-836A-8E5F288F0081.jpeg

It has to be your choice but the first is a lot nicer indeed. If me I would send it back and get a full refund on both the postages too. 

I would not be happy. Complain and say you're disappointed in their service. They may just give this tooth instead of extra postage costs and for customer relations.

Cheers Bobby 

• I found this Informative 1

Seems like a scam! Get your money back!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Thank you for your response, Bobby. I’m honestly not very happy with it. I think I will email them and let them know that I’m not interested in the one they sent, and that it would have been better to email me before to let me know. I had a gut feeling something was off when I picked up the package from my neighbor, as it was packaged with a plant fossil and was very small. 

It looks like you have been the victim of a "bait and switch", a type of fraud in which you are offered one item and sent another item of lesser value. I would send it back and demand a full refund including the cost of return shipping. 

12 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Seems like a scam! Get your money back!

While I don’t think it was a scam (at least I hope not!), I do think I’m going to get a refund for it. I guess I didn’t really know if I was being too picky since I’ve never had a mammoth fossil before.

1 minute ago, thelivingdead531 said:

While I don’t think it was a scam (at least I hope not!), I do think I’m going to get a refund for it. I guess I didn’t really know if I was being too picky since I’ve never had a mammoth fossil before.

No not picky you just wanted what your ordered.

4 minutes ago, PaleoRon said:

It looks like you have been the victim of a "bait and switch", a type of fraud in which you are offered one item and sent another item of lesser value. I would send it back and demand a full refund including the cost of return shipping. 

I was sent another fossil from them, exactly as ordered, in the same shipment. The tooth they sent me is supposedly higher in value. But I guess if it was a bait and switch they would want you to think that, yeah? :shrug: Thank you for your response, hopefully this all has a good outcome. 

I can't see how a very badly worn tooth that looks as though it has been broken and repaired could be of higher value than a complete, or nearly complete, tooth.

• I found this Informative 2

4 minutes ago, PaleoRon said:

I can't see how a very badly worn tooth that looks as though it has been broken and repaired could be of higher value than a complete, or nearly complete, tooth.

Good point. I had only really thought of part of that aspect. 

Hi, Candace! :)

The one you have received as a replacement is not a very good specimen whether it was a scam or not. 

I'm in the "return it and ask for a full refund including postage" camp. 

We're toasting marshmallows. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

8 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Hi, Candace! :)

The one you have received as a replacement is not a very good specimen whether it was a scam or not. 

I'm in the "return it and ask for a full refund including postage" camp. 

We're toasting marshmallows. 

Hi, Adam! I haven’t seen you on here much lately, I hope all is well! I have just sent out an email detailing just that. I’m really hoping for a nice outcome on this. I want to believe it was an honest mistake, but if not...well, it was paid for through PayPal, so maybe I’ll get my money back anyway. Fingers crossed either way. :fingerscrossed:

1 hour ago, thelivingdead531 said:

Hi, Adam! I haven’t seen you on here much lately, I hope all is well! I have just sent out an email detailing just that. I’m really hoping for a nice outcome on this. I want to believe it was an honest mistake, but if not...well, it was paid for through PayPal, so maybe I’ll get my money back anyway. Fingers crossed either way. :fingerscrossed:

Indeed! :fingerscrossed:

I'm fine. 

Life's Good. 

Been on sabbatical, but back for all the Christmas fun and games. :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I’ve lost the odd thing when selling and sent something similar out with the 100% guarantee that I’ll refund including return postage. I’m sure it was a genuine error. online has got your back covered anyway. 

• I found this Informative 2

16 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

I’ve lost the odd thing when selling and sent something similar out with the 100% guarantee that I’ll refund including return postage. I’m sure it was a genuine error. online has got your back covered anyway. 

I do hope it was a genuine error, and since I received another item from them in the same shipment that was exactly as I purchased, I’m leaning more towards that, but I still wish they would have told me before shipping. It could have saved more hassle than it was worth. 

2 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

but I still wish they would have told me before shipping

Are you sure the fine print did not state that it is their policy to send something of equal or greater value if something like this happens?

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

25 minutes ago, Walt said:

Are you sure the fine print did not state that it is their policy to send something of equal or greater value if something like this happens?

99.97% certain, as they didn’t state that in their confirmation of purchase email or on their terms and conditions section of their website. 

Just now, thelivingdead531 said:

99.97%

So you're not sure, then :rofl:

It was just a thought. 

If it is not what you want, then refund it is.  It is your money. 

5 minutes ago, Walt said:

So you're not sure, then :rofl:

It was just a thought. 

If it is not what you want, then refund it is.  It is your money. 

I mean, there is a chance I missed that disclaimer. :shrug::blush: If I wanted to bet money on it, I would say it would be in one of those sections, or at least I hope so. 

1 minute ago, thelivingdead531 said:

I mean, there is a chance I missed that disclaimer. :shrug::blush: If I wanted to bet money on it, I would say it would be in one of those sections, or at least I hope so. 

Eh, it doesn't matter. They offered a refund.  I would do business with them.  I don't see where they did anything wrong other than second guess you would be happy with something they thought was of greater value. :shrug:

Update: The seller responded and promptly refunded my purchase price, as well as the shipping it will cost to send the tooth back to them. I’m glad this turned into a happy ending. Hooray for happy endings! :yay-smiley-1:

• I found this Informative 3

50 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

Update: The seller responded and promptly refunded my purchase price, as well as the shipping it will cost to send the tooth back to them. I’m glad this turned into a happy ending. Hooray for happy endings! :yay-smiley-1:

Sounds like they just made a mistake but I glad you sent it back. I will keep an eye out for a juvenile mammoth tooth. The do pop up at times 

2 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

Hoooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yay-smiley-1:

Fair play to the seller. 

Seems like a genuine mistake and made good. 

Nice to hear. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.