piranha

GSA 2018 - Trilobite Abstracts

Malcolmt

Wow some interesting stuff in there

piranha
5 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

Wow some interesting stuff in there

If I had to rank them, this one is certainly an attention-grabber.  Hopefully we don't have to wait very long for the formal publication! emo73.gif :P

NEW SILURIAN (LUDLOW, GORSTIAN) TRILOBITE FAUNA FROM PIPE CREEK JUNIOR QUARRY, SWAYZEE, GRANT COUNTY, INDIANA.

...and one of us (Havens) has been collecting trilobites from the quarry since 1992 and amassed a collection of over 900 trilobite fossils. A partial list of taxa includes Styginidae (including a bumastine and a scutelluid), Harpetidae (including Scotoharpes?), Lichidae (Genera Dicranopeltis and Hemiarges (?)), Odontipleuridae (including Dudleyaspis, Ceratocephala), Calymenidae (Genus Calymene), Cheiruridae (including Cheirurus?, Deiphon, Sphaerexochus, Youngia) Encrinuridae (Genus Struzia), Phacopiodae, and Proetidae. There appears to be several undescribed genera and species in this fauna which will be described at a future date.

Kane

Hopefully there will be transcripts of the proceedings. I'd be very interested in the Witte paper for a number of reasons, a minor one among them being that I've been currently reading a paper on ecdysial patterns as a means of determining broader evolutionary trends, but it seems to ultimately fall short of its promise when considering the exceptions presented by a bulk of the phacopida (such an exceptional outlier, with exceptions within the exceptions!). Of course, ecdysis patterns are not the best way to organize the clades to begin with. :P 

PalaeozoicJapan
On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:11 PM, piranha said:

If I had to rank them, this one is certainly an attention-grabber.  Hopefully we don't have to wait very long for the formal publication! emo73.gif :P

NEW SILURIAN (LUDLOW, GORSTIAN) TRILOBITE FAUNA FROM PIPE CREEK JUNIOR QUARRY, SWAYZEE, GRANT COUNTY, INDIANA.

...and one of us (Havens) has been collecting trilobites from the quarry since 1992 and amassed a collection of over 900 trilobite fossils. A partial list of taxa includes Styginidae (including a bumastine and a scutelluid), Harpetidae (including Scotoharpes?), Lichidae (Genera Dicranopeltis and Hemiarges (?)), Odontipleuridae (including Dudleyaspis, Ceratocephala), Calymenidae (Genus Calymene), Cheiruridae (including Cheirurus?, Deiphon, Sphaerexochus, Youngia) Encrinuridae (Genus Struzia), Phacopiodae, and Proetidae. There appears to be several undescribed genera and species in this fauna which will be described at a future date.

I agree! This appears to be a very familiar Ludlovian trilobite assemblage. A great example of what a lifetime's collecting can achieve. Shame about the spelling mistakes... Looking forward to proper publication in due course. :)

piranha
On 8/21/2019 at 8:55 AM, PalaeozoicJapan said:

...Shame about the spelling mistakes...

The mistakes are annoying but fortunately it was only a conference abstract.  Any competent journal reviewer would catch those instantly. mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo71.gif&t=1566408839&ymreqid=23281213-8dc1-3cff-1c3a-300003010900&sig=v1FuzdaBm2Jd9LB6u9pi_Q--~C