daves64

"digging" around in my Winchell fm micro matrix, I found a few interesting items. One I think may be a bone of some sort from something & 2 other may be fins. The bone is 9 mm in length, the larger fin is 1 cm & the smaller one is 5 mm. First set is the bone. Both sides, both ends & an angle of one end.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

The larger of the 2 possible fins. The 4th pic shows the spine area's in the first 2 pics. 3rd pic shows the small end. 1 cm long

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

The smaller of the 2 possible fin things. 5 mm long

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

First one looks like a toe bone, do not know from what.

The other two are fish pelvic girdles. The bone that connects the fin to the body of a fish.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I'm no expert on Pennsylvanian material, but I would propose that the "toe bone" is a tumbled rotula (part of Aristotle's lantern) from an Archeocidaris sp. echinoid.  Cretaceous example here.

The "fins" could be part of the ancient mollusk, Apotocardium (page 17), or part of a brachiopod hinge. 

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

After seeing John J's post, and taking a closer look at the objects I change My previous guess.

The features and texture fit John's ID better.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I've found one or 2 of those plates on that echinoid as well, the ones with the disk shape on them. I thought they were from a crinoid, but maybe not. I'll have to find them & post a pic.

These are the possible echinoid plates I have found. The yellowish one is from the Jasper Creek fm in Bridgeport Texas, the brownish ones are from Winchell fm in Brownwood Texas, both Pennsylvanian. Also included is what I think may be a fragment of an urchin spike. The yellow plate is 3 mm, the spike fragment is 3 mm as well. I've got other items as well, one of which looks like it could almost be a miniature petrified face hugger from Aliens that was difficult to take pics of.

A050 - 20181107_100338.jpg

A053 - 20181107_100515.jpg

31 minutes ago, daves64 said:

These are the possible echinoid plates I have found. The yellowish one is from the Jasper Creek fm in Bridgeport Texas, the brownish ones are from Winchell fm in Brownwood Texas, both Pennsylvanian. Also included is what I think may be a fragment of an urchin spike. The yellow plate is 3 mm, the spike fragment is 3 mm as well. I've got other items as well, one of which looks like it could almost be a miniature petrified face hugger from Aliens that was difficult to take pics of.

Definitely echinoid plates and a partial echinoid spine.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Sweet! Now I've got what.. about 4/1000 of an echinoid (sort of)? Gotta start somewhere I guess. :D

Somehow managed to miss this one & it's the largest I've found. Marks are in mm.. I've got another of the spike fragments, just haven't located it yet.

A052 - 20181107_202721.jpg

11 hours ago, daves64 said:

I've got what.. about 4/1000 of an echinoid (sort of)? Gotta start somewhere I guess. :D

And you were saying you didn't have anything for the Secret Santa exchange!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

And you were saying you didn't have anything for the Secret Santa exchange!

I still don't. These are all microfossils. Itty bitty, teeny tiny lil' things. Besides, it's too late anyway, even if I did have things to send. I just found these bits & don't want to part with them. At least not yet. And I've got more matrix on the way. May have 1 or 2 xenacanthus teeth to show off, maybe a few other shark teeth, maybe some urchins... maybe nothing but bags of micro matrix & dust with no fossils (and a smaller bank account). *shrugs* Time will tell.

Archived