Dinosaur Eggs, Genuine or Not?

Crazyhen

11 minutes ago, HamptonsDoc said:

If only we had a few wealthy enthusiasts who could buy examples of all these eggs we question here to disassemble them a post their findings...

Do you, as a doctor, have access to a CT scanner? You could scan some of your eggs to see if they appear real.

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

36 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Do you, as a doctor, have access to a CT scanner? You could scan some of your eggs to see if they appear real.

I do and have done this.  Here's the thread where we discussed this previously.  I just re-CT'ed some of the more promising eggs that I posted in that thread recently.  I'm waiting on my radiologist friend to do a 3D reconstruction of the images and then will post them here.

• I found this Informative 3

3 minutes ago, HamptonsDoc said:

I'm waiting on my radiologist friend to do a 3D reconstruction of the images

What does a consult like that run?  :D

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

44 minutes ago, HamptonsDoc said:

I do and have done this.  Here's the thread where we discussed this previously.  I just re-CT'ed some of the more promising eggs that I posted in that thread recently.  I'm waiting on my radiologist friend to do a 3D reconstruction of the images and then will post them here.

You are probably the only MD who is a paleo-oologist.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

55 minutes ago, Walt said:

What does a consult like that run?  :D

About a quarter million in student loans :doh!:

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, HamptonsDoc said:

Great, thanks for sharing! I have a question about Hadrosair egg pair 1 shown in the scan (also seen on photo above) - it appears to be 2 single eggs composited in the same matrix or am i reading the scan wrong?

20 minutes ago, aeon.rocks said:

Great, thanks for sharing! I have a question about Hadrosair egg pair 1 shown in the scan (also seen on photo above) - it appears to be 2 single eggs composited in the same matrix or am i reading the scan wrong?

It is two separate eggs in the same original matrix that were once part of a larger nest.

Ok, no idea if they were from the same nest, but it's this fill, marked with red lines, that I was trying to interpret as if the eggs were placed in matrix together. Minor restoration (or glue fill) possibly showing in right upper scan image on the side of the egg?

Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 22.55.03.png

6 minutes ago, aeon.rocks said:

it's this fill, marked with red lines, that I was trying to interpret

Oh ok I see what you mean.  I'm not sure what that represents.  On gross inspection of the eggs there does not appear to be any restoration or tampering to them.  I'm not sure why there is that heterogeneous layer in the matrix.  These eggs are very heavy- on CT imaging the whiter a material the denser.

6 hours ago, HamptonsDoc said:

Oh ok I see what you mean.  I'm not sure what that represents.  On gross inspection of the eggs there does not appear to be any restoration or tampering to them.  I'm not sure why there is that heterogeneous layer in the matrix.  These eggs are very heavy- on CT imaging the whiter a material the denser.

It is very likely that in this your egg has been hatched and prepared upside down, ie inverted:

image.png.b52d508565b22a73e8dc3b7760013512.png

The white spots may be boulders that have entered with the sediments in the season of paleo-rains.

They are mere speculations, for this egg does not seem to be whole.

I also researched my most promising eggs, but just like you, I also did not have much luck:

image.png.e6f4546c43236b7b4e3eb7db575a6923.png

image.png.19b1e3695cc4eaa0d6b3a9cd90d37505.png

image.png.3b9239927b3b1682ca95cea4d7a5796d.png

image.png.d763d8a1e3c3c98d68d72cc908eab9a4.png

image.png.bbaeda1701078b30358912280834683a.png

image.thumb.png.dba2b5421b89276bc15ee9726ec50028.png

Well... Anyway do not worry my dear friend HamptonsDoc, because really the interpretation of embryonic data in fossil eggs is still a pioneering field and we have a lot of way ahead, even more if we take into account that in the future we will have technologies better to obtain these data and a better understanding of how to interpret this data. :dinothumb:

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

10 hours ago, HamptonsDoc said:

If only we had a few wealthy enthusiasts who could buy examples of all these eggs we question here to disassemble them a post their findings...

Disassemble a fake fossil egg?

No problem, nothing is impossible here in the TFF, indeed here everything can happen! So I see no problem in killing your curiosity, but first, please remove the children from the living room, because the images that will be shown below are quite strong and may be inappropriate... :rofl:

image.png.eae9416fa8ee3d6ebcc244043fb223c6.png

image.thumb.png.7e14a39f8e1e39eebac2d62628a7f1da.png

image.png.e098aed95313922b89d46f1fb3a8b069.png

image.thumb.png.4977375f78e17cb0588d14db6ae6964c.png

image.thumb.png.a9e309a2850ab1700a4f0054bf578d30.png

image.png.8cf061305733789589fd360d3486bfec.png

• I found this Informative 4

03.PNG

8 hours ago, HamptonsDoc said:

I find it interesting, due to the possibility to see how fake or restored parts might show in X-ray image. Of course, these look like authentic hatched eggs, not fake, but looks like if prepared out of matrix completely and then "cemented" together in one matrix block to catch a higher price. When parts used are real fossils and real matrix for base, that would make the composition very heavy. Difficult to say, but that's what it looks to me from CT scan. If it's not too much trouble, could we see photos of the actual eggs? Good resolution that shows that areas on CT scan if possible.

11 hours ago, aeon.rocks said:

If it's not too much trouble, could we see photos of the actual eggs?

81650C0A-39CB-4DC2-8C82-1535E73C8D08.thumb.jpeg.5242458c90e170718089ba5f08ccd8ec.jpeg

2 hours ago, HamptonsDoc said:

81650C0A-39CB-4DC2-8C82-1535E73C8D08.thumb.jpeg.5242458c90e170718089ba5f08ccd8ec.jpeg

There is something strange about this matrix, strange cracks run beneath the eggs. I would not exclude the possibility that the eggs were added to a false matrix to simulate a nest.

Or, the accumulation of debris and boulders underneath or over the eggs during ancient paleo-rains can also be the answer here. which I actually think is most likely.

But one way or another there is no denying that it is two beautiful and wonderful eggs. Congratulations, sweet acquisition!

03.PNG

Agree, it's possible the base was added for 2 otherwise individual natural eggs, but hard to say. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you have a feeling you over-payed (can't do anything about it now tho probably anyway). Also possible, matrix around eggs just weathered differently as the rest, but in any case a nice specimen. Thank you for sharing! 

In person the eggs themselves look great- minimal prep with lots of calcite on the shell makes them stand out in my collection. I never thought of the matrix as being suspect and in person do not see any signs of tampering but I can’t explain what you pointed out from the CT images. 

Also, these eggs were one of the best deals I ever got for a fossil. The person who sold them to me didn’t know their value and I paid his asking price which was about half of what one egg is worth.

• I found this Informative 2

I am very late to the discussion. My first thoughts were: X is real, Y is suspicious.

It's nice to see that pretty much everyone else came to the same conclusion too.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

• 3 months later...

I have an egg I would appreciate being looked at! It's apparently a fossil hadrosaur egg that came from China. Obviously that sentence alone is a red flag but I'd like to see what anyone thinks

20190223_151118.jpg

20190223_125210.jpg