Mastodon or wooly mammoth

Yupimcaleb

Can't tell from the pic if it's bone or ivory but in ivory you measure the angle of the schreger lines to determine who it would be from. You'll be able to see them in the cross section:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Can we have pictures from more sides?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

More pics please. Ends, sides and anything you think might be diagnostic. With both ends broken off you may not get a positive I’d on this, but it’s worth posting more pics to try to narrow it down 

I am not sure what part of the Red River it was from, but in the North Sulfur River mastodon remains are far more common than mammoth. Not that the info helps, but it may be helpful to know.

I'm seeing some porosity in that final photo, so I am thinking this is bone.

If it is mammoth, it is like the Columbian Mammoth (Mammuthus Columbi) and not the Woolly Mammoth.

Woolly Mammoths had a range that was much further north than the southern US.

BTW, Welcome to the Fossil Forum. It's a nice find regardless of whether it's bone or ivory. Judging by the size, it had to originate from a megafauna species.