Misha

Hello everyone! I am in the process of investigating the fossil site in Carbondale PA but can't seem to find the exact place where to go or any directions, there were some things I saw on the forum but they look like they are on private property. If anybody knows about it new insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Fossildude19

Found these by Googling -  "Carbondale PA Fossils directions"

Carbondale Fern Fossils

Carbondale, PA - SITE 43

Description: Fern fossils are very interesting. They grew as high as 50 feet in ancient swamps. Bring a hammer and chisel. The shale is brittle. There are several spoil piles from coal strip mining. Observe all No Trespassing signs. On the way from Scanton to Carbondale on US Highway 6 is Archbald Pothole State Park. This is PA's largest glacial pothole. It's worth the stop to see how this formed.

Schedule: Daylight hours.

Cost: Free!

Directions: Carbondale is located Northeast of Scranton, PA. From Philadelphia take I-476 all the way to the end. Then take 81 South one exit to 57 follow US Highway 6 to Carbondale. On the way is Archbald Pothole State Park. Three miles past State Highway 107 is the Carbondale elementary school road. There are a few shops before the school where you can park and climb to the shale piles, or drive down into the apartments back on the dirt roads to the spoil piles.

Misha

8 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Found these by Googling -  "Carbondale PA Fossils directions"

Carbondale Fern Fossils

Carbondale, PA - SITE 43

Description: Fern fossils are very interesting. They grew as high as 50 feet in ancient swamps. Bring a hammer and chisel. The shale is brittle. There are several spoil piles from coal strip mining. Observe all No Trespassing signs. On the way from Scanton to Carbondale on US Highway 6 is Archbald Pothole State Park. This is PA's largest glacial pothole. It's worth the stop to see how this formed.

Schedule: Daylight hours.

Cost: Free!

Directions: Carbondale is located Northeast of Scranton, PA. From Philadelphia take I-476 all the way to the end. Then take 81 South one exit to 57 follow US Highway 6 to Carbondale. On the way is Archbald Pothole State Park. Three miles past State Highway 107 is the Carbondale elementary school road. There are a few shops before the school where you can park and climb to the shale piles, or drive down into the apartments back on the dirt roads to the spoil piles.

Thank you very much for the help! Don't know how I didn't figure out to search that.

Edited by Misha

sTamprockcoin

Be catious as this is site may be posted, is behind a "housing complex",  patrolled for illegal activity, has holes, metal scrap, glass shards, and often drug parphenellia. The site  (on the hill) described in the classic literature has been largely reclaimed. I know all this because I used to live up there and shopped in the adjacent plaza. I know some collectors still get in but it may have changed.  I'm not saying don't try but be VERY aware of your surroundings and weigh the risks on site.

Misha

1 minute ago, sTamprockcoin said:

Be catious as this is site may be posted, is behind a "housing complex",  patrolled for illegal activity, has holes, metal scrap, glass shards, and often drug parphenellia. The site  (on the hill) described in the classic literature has been largely reclaimed. I know all this because I used to live up there and shopped in the adjacent plaza. I know some collectors still get in but it may have changed.  I'm not saying don't try but be VERY aware of your surroundings and weigh the risks on site.

Yeah, I have looked through a street view on the way down there and there is a sight that says private property on it which made me question if anyone can go there, but seems like people are still going there, maybe you need to get in contact with them somehow? 

I am not sure, but thank you for warning me either way, if I do go I will try to be careful.