ok this is one I purchased

hndmarshall

I know I know its from china it is something I bought online....not sure if it is a Woolly Rhino or not no info was given on it so figured to post it here to be sure.

it is a bit damp I had to rinse some of the dirt off of it to get a good look.

000_0375.JPG

000_0376.JPG

000_0377.JPG

000_0378.JPG

000_0379.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

1 minute ago, Bobby Rico said:

I am interested in how you will display it too. :)

have another coming from same seller they are raw not preserved what is the best way to preserve it?

1 minute ago, hndmarshall said:

preserve it

They don’t look fragile to me . Why do you think they need preserving? Are woolly rhino teeth from China known  to be fragile if so I know some members that can help with your question. 

• I found this Informative 1

Just now, Bobby Rico said:

They don’t look fragile to me . Why do you think they need preserving? Are woolly rhino teeth from China known  to be fragile if so I know some members that can help with your question. 

no not fragile was just wondering if they needed any type of treatment but i guess if they lasted this long its not a problem...lol

2 hours ago, hndmarshall said:

no not fragile was just wondering if they needed any type of treatment but i guess if they lasted this long its not a problem...lol

In the Uk the most common woolly rhino, mammoth and other mammal material is found in the brown bank of the North Sea . This material because it comes out of the sea does sometimes need stabilising. Do you know where in China they are found? The tooth looks solid to me and probably won’t need stabilising. 

• I found this Informative 1

17 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

In the Uk the most common woolly rhino, mammoth and other mammal material is found in the brown bank of the North Sea . This material because it comes out of the sea does need stabilising. Do you know where in China they are found? The tooth looks solid to me and probably won’t need stabilising. 

no like I said it had no info with it

That's an excellent purchase. I also have one from that region (China), maybe from the same seller. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

nice!...my husband works construction so have access to all sorts of material and wire I am sure i will come up with something interesting and unique 

20 hours ago, hndmarshall said:

have another coming from same seller they are raw not preserved what is the best way to preserve it?

To be honest, I wouldnt have washed it. Just use a soft brush to clean. Water gets into all the small cracks and will cause more harm then good. Nothing has to be done other then keeping out of direct sunlight and where it wont fall and break. Its a great Rhino tooth with the roots. 

• I found this Informative 2

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

2 minutes ago, mikeymig said:

To be honest, I wouldnt have washed it. Just use a soft brush to clean. Water gets into all the small cracks and will cause more harm then good. Nothing has to be done other then keeping out of direct sunlight and where it wont fall and break. Its a great Rhino tooth with the roots. 

thank you lesson learned!

Great piece! PVA works well for consolidating mammal teeth and bone. With the cracking and flakes on this piece, you may find that it becomes unstable as it dries. 

34 minutes ago, hndmarshall said:

nice!...my husband works construction so have access to all sorts of material and wire I am sure i will come up with something interesting and unique 

Sounds fun . Please show some pictures of your stand when you have made it. Just one more thing I really don’t think you need to stabilise this tooth it looks solid.