Help with i.d. on possible coral

The Mushroom Whisperer

Hi everyone.  I recently purchased a 55 year rock collection.  My friend has decided he's done with his lapidary pursuits.  I was going through some of the many boxes, and I found what I believe to be a chunk of fossil coral.

He didn't remember where he found it, and we have a friendly disagreement regarding fossil coral vs pet wood.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  They spent most of their time traveling the western states, but did make a trip to Australia.

20181106_144435_kindlephoto-6182722.jpg

20181106_144500_kindlephoto-6214945.jpg

20181106_144516_kindlephoto-6249499.jpg

20181106_144548_kindlephoto-6328117.jpg

Probably petrified wood with pronounced rays from center to exterior. Clear, up close photos of the exterior and interior are going to be key for an ID. Are you able to look thru and take photos with a hand lens or magnifying glass? Do you see any growth rings?

What is the rock made of: agate?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Probably petrified wood with pronounced rays from center to exterior. Clear, up close photos of the exterior and interior are going to be key for an ID. Are you able to look thru and take photos with a hand lens or magnifying glass? Do you see any growth rings?

What is the rock made of: agate?

I took a quick pic under 10x magnification.  I'll set up and take more shortly.

I am not able to see any concentric rings, but there does appear to be cell like structure.  

The rock does look to be agatized.

20181106_163911_kindlephoto-9003294.jpg

20181106_163911.jpg

I see growth rings of wood that are at right angles to the prominant rays. Look in the central and lower left section of top photo. 

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Archived