Pennsylvanian oddity

JimTh

Revisited a site today that I believe to be Pennsylvanian.  Found this oddball. Fossil? Mineral?  You can see some of the typical plant material from the site to the left on the same stone.  Blade of grass is 3/8”-1/2” wide.  Kind of looks septarianish now that I look at it again. 

3279D04C-8C15-44CA-9804-E0DD0525B6A6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Rotated: 

3279D04C-8C15-44CA-9804-E0DD0525B6A6.jpeg.e11db4cefaaa1de902653b7fb0e43674.jpeg

Could be geological in nature, but it does look a bit like a cone of some sort. :headscratch::shrug:

Maybe some of the plant folks will have a look. 

@paleoflor    @fiddlehead    @Plantguy

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

I'd say geologic due to the mineralization patterns and since other than the overall shapes I don't see any structure details but I'm wrong more often than not.

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

20 minutes ago, hndmarshall said:

is what its on stone or petrified wood?

To the left is some sort of wood or leaf impression. To the right is just limestone. It’s in the limestone, adjacent to the impression. 

Is the "wood" hollow? The dark upper left corner makes that impression to me.

2 hours ago, JimTh said:

3279D04C-8C15-44CA-9804-E0DD0525B6A6.jpeg

Slightly crushed cephalopod? It's hard to see any structure beyond the repeating cells.

Context is critical.

8 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Is the "wood" hollow? The dark upper left corner makes that impression to me.

The black in the upper left corner is a hole that goes all the way (straight) through.  I'm guessing it eroded out.  

8 hours ago, ynot said:

Can You post pictures of the whole rock and multiple angles?

Sadly, no.  This was on a 3' slab that I left on site.  I didn't have anything with me to try to break or cut it with.  The rest of the slab is similar in color, with a scattering of plant material across it: bits and pieces of some sort of long, narrow leaf and what are possibly inner bark or wood impressions.

• 2 months later...

Mold or impression of a partial(without the core) pine cone, I think.

male-strobilus-and-female-cone-of-pine-in-cross-section-C12G6J.thumb.jpg.28eec51f82e90e4b03727f62d16bed83.jpg

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

hmm, I like it whatever it is...I guess it could be a cone but I dont recognize it in its current form/detail...that 3d look is very interesting..

Missourian's suggestion seems plausible...My brain even toyed with some segmented arthropod...even some Lepidocystis, but I sure dont know...

Jimth, Is it possible to confirm formation name/stratigraphy/age thru looking at a geologic map so we can poke around in some of the literature for any possible clues? Not sure if Tim or Jack have seen this so I'll give them a chance before trying elsewhere unless someone else chimes in..   @JimTh

@paleoflor

@fiddlehead

Regards, Chris 

If you need one more guess, I have one. If it is Pennsylvanian in age, it could a Polysporia mirabilis. It is a cylindrical cone, up to 7 cm in length and 7 cm wide, consisting of a series of club-shaped sporangia, spirally arranged on a thick central axis and filled with spores. These cones were heterosporous, the top sporangia had microspores (male) and the bottom half had megaspores (female). If a female sporangium is broke open, the megaspores are large and are easily visible to the naked eye. If this is the case you have a cone that was a member of the lycopsid family named Chaloneriaceae, which grew about 2 m tall. 

Hope that helps,

Jack

Poly.mir.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

2 hours ago, fiddlehead said:

If you need one more guess, I have one. If it is Pennsylvanian in age, it could a Polysporia mirabilis. It is a cylindrical cone, up to 7 cm in length and 7 cm wide, consisting of a series of club-shaped sporangia, spirally arranged on a thick central axis and filled with spores. These cones were heterosporous, the top sporangia had microspores (male) and the bottom half had megaspores (female). If a female sporangium is broke open, the megaspores are large and are easily visible to the naked eye. If this is the case you have a cone that was a member of the lycopsid family named Chaloneriaceae, which grew about 2 m tall. 

Hope that helps,

Jack

Thanks Jack. Yes it does!...thats definitely a new one for me. What an interesting form/setup..

Regards, Chris