North Sulphur River - Turtle Claw? Tooth?

rcranch

Went to a new (for me) creek today that feeds into the NSR.  Was about to give up, had not found anything, when this pops up?  I first thought that it was a mosasaur jaw bone with a big tooth in it and then after I retrieved it I realized this was no normal mosasaur tooth?  I have found teeth before and they are slightly curved and this is completely straight.  I could not find anything similar on the Web but I suspect this could be a turtle claw (not sure the official nomenclature)?   It is about 2 inches long and 3/4 inch diameter at the base.  Any thoughts on this one?  Thanks

20181106_132406_resized.jpg

20181106_132615_resized.jpg

20181106_132716_resized.jpg

Sweet tooth! :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It's a premaxilla.  Unbelievable that the tooth is undamaged.  Even when they are found in-situ the teeth are often broken.  That is an amazing find.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Thanks to everyone for the help in identifying this tooth.  I looked the X-fish up on the Web and that was one mean looking fish.  This had to be a big one with this size tooth.  I will get back out there soon and see if more turns up in this area.  

That is an awesome find. Very cool.

So far I have only found small shark teeth out there. One of these days I’ll find a tooth out there. It’s just a matter of time.

Awesome find! I imagine it would be difficult to carry that through airport security. :ninja:

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

Nice find! I really hope there's more of that Xiphactinus in the area where your specimen was found :D 

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Wow! Almost looks too good to be true. One amazing find congrats. 

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation

Archived