North Sulphur River cool finds 11/06/18

M&T Diggers

We found 5 vertebrae today.  We think they are mosasaurus.  Can anyone help identify these?  If better pics are needed or individual pics I can take more.

Thanks again

Matt & Teri

20181106_185902.jpg

We think we know what these are but would love opinions.  We are brand new at this and totally excited.

Matt & Teri

20181106_231935(1)-1998x1332.jpg

20181106_231819(1)-1921x1165.jpg

20181106_232045(1)-2044x1314.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

It's crazy the number of mosasaur bones that come out of that river. If I lived near there I would have a hard time keeping a job as I'd be calling in "sick" every day.

Don

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

It's crazy the number of mosasaur bones that come out of that river. If I lived near there I would have a hard time keeping a job as I'd be calling in "sick" every day.

Don

This is why "work from home" jobs were created. ;)

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

2 hours ago, caldigger said:

This is why "work from home" jobs were created. ;)

Lol.  We are both self employed and set our own schedule.  This new found hobby has... well... changed how we scheduled things the last couple of weeks.  Lol.  We are having fun with it.  Work still gets done.  Let's just say rainy days are good work days. ;)

19 hours ago, M&T Diggers said:

We found 5 vertebrae today.  We think they are mosasaurus.  Can anyone help identify these?  If better pics are needed or individual pics I can take more.

Nice variety of vertebrae that you found.  If you are new to the NSR and the fossils available there, you might look for the book "Fossil Collector's Guidebook to the North Sulphur River".  It was published by the Dallas Paleontological Society in 2001 and has been very helpful for me.  Sometimes the Half Price Books in Dallas has copies.  Has some color photos that are useful in identifying some of the more common fossils from the river.  Good luck.  

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks for all the complements!!!  We are excited to have found them.  Not sure when we will get back out there.  Maybe Sunday with the granddaughter.  Rcranch, we will look for that book.

On 11/7/2018 at 2:45 PM, rcranch said:

Nice variety of vertebrae that you found.  If you are new to the NSR and the fossils available there, you might look for the book "Fossil Collector's Guidebook to the North Sulphur River".  It was published by the Dallas Paleontological Society in 2001 and has been very helpful for me.  Sometimes the Half Price Books in Dallas has copies.  Has some color photos that are useful in identifying some of the more common fossils from the river.  Good luck.  

We found the book!!!!  The only copy in a half price book retail store and it was the store we walked in.  On top of that we had a 40% off coupon.  Woot!!!

1 hour ago, M&T Diggers said:

We found the book!!!!  The only copy in a half price book retail store and it was the store we walked in.  On top of that we had a 40% off coupon.  Woot!!!

If you work out the coupons just right, maybe they will pay you to take It! :P

Dorensigbadges.JPG