Fossil Bone or Not?

Favonius

Found this on the shores of Torrey Pines State Park one day. Thought it was a strangely shaped marine rock, but then realized it may be a bone fossil fragment. What do you think?

5be3a565bc56e_DSCN42252.thumb.jpg.9aacee1702d99d9c8ca5d74d3d02dfb7.jpg5be3a562b81f1_DSCN42242.thumb.jpg.7bb1090dc93ddfba5908a0f12030729a.jpg5be3a55fc38e2_DSCN42232.thumb.jpg.26f5eac5d63477c1d5aa8a421ffa5b98.jpg

That is a rock that was bored by  Pholad clams. The white areas may be traces if their shells. They are very common in California.

See Wikipedia article: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pholad_borings

IMG_0621.JPG

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Sorry, it's a weathered rock not bone.

Torrey Pines, as in San Diego?

I lived in OB for many years...really miss living next to the beach!

edit: ya, what DPS said, then likely wave action worn.

That's right San Diego! I have been reading up on minerals and fossils and am discovering for the first time what a wonderland for bother S. California is. Very close by Scripps Ranch has been the source of many finds. Thanks.

That's a pebble with pholad borings.
Nice specimen! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived