Day of the Dolphin...periotics?

MrR

My friend found a couple of interesting bone pieces while digging at Ernst Quarries last weekend. In the same hole, she found what may be two small cetacean periotic bones, as well as a small dolphin tooth. All three are included included in associated images. She wasn't digging a particularly large hole, so I can't help but wonder if they are all from the same animal. While there may be no way to tell, the possibility is intriguing to this newbie's mind.

Of course, I may even be wrong about my ID of the bones. Any input regarding the donor species, etc., is greatly appreciated. Cheers.

DSC06286.JPG

DSC06287.JPG

DSC06288.JPG

10 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Brian, how come you let her get all the good stuff?! ;)

She's got a good eye, and a bit of luck. I've got a decent eye, but luck usually slides off me and hits the one closest to me. Fishing, horse-races, fossil-hunting, stock-picking, base-jumping...;-)  Every now and then, luck sticks. But the moon wasn't quite blue enough last Saturday. Thanks for the chuckle. Be well.

Oh, and thanks for the ID confirmation, Al Dente.

12 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Um, I think you can only be unlucky once when it comes to base jumping.

Ain't that the tooth. :blink:

Agree with the bullia ids. Can not be from same animal, they came from the same side of the animals they came from.

The other piece does look like a cetatean tooth, but more views of it would help to be sure.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks, ynot. I’ll post more images when I get internet back. I’m in So Cal burn area, so who knows when that will be. Down for a week now. :-( Cheers.

Archived