ID bone, help

Custom57

I think this may be a deer rib but not sure. How far inside cave was it found and are there any teeth marks? It's difficult to see through the plastic bag.

• I found this Informative 1

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

The bone was some 10 m from the entrance to the cave. It was on the floor near the wall. 50 cm above it there is a small shaft (50cm diameter). I believe the bone was brought  there by water. The floor is covered with hard clay, but the bone was not buried at all. I hope it does not  belong to a human.

Cave1.thumb.jpg.684b512e21d39ff4359d84b1b6e093c5.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

41 minutes ago, Custom57 said:

I hope it does not  belong to a human.

See how the rib bone you have begins to flatten out about halfway towards the end. Human rib bones flatten out much closer to the spine so don't think any worries about that.

What kind of deer are living near there? If you know the scientific name or the common name of it, you can do a google search for that animal's rib bones and see what you think.

I have no way of knowing if it's fossilized. If there were no other similar bones associated with it, plus the fact it was not buried and fairly close to entrance, then probably not. Do people visit this cave often? Is it deep?

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs