Bone Daddy

Florida's Peace River

Macrophyseter

Ooo, a story! Can't wait for part 2! :popcorn:

caldigger

Hey Macro, having read the book I know the ending.

Now I'm not sure how the film adaptation will change the storyline, but there's bound to be a few surprises in store.

Unfortunately, like most of these things coming out, we may have to wait a few years for the next installment.

I'm actually looking more forward to the prequel.

goatinformationist

A vivid depiction of home.  Thanks.

ynot

:thumbsu:

:popcorn::popcorn:

cman74

Awesome visuals here. As someone currently planning my first trip to the Peace in the coming weeks, this is substantially helpful. Hopefully the next part(s) come out before I make it down there!

Bone Daddy

Part Two is going to detail the experience of an overnight scouting and hunting trip that will involve camping on one of these remote stretches away from campgrounds and parks. To date, we have never done an overnight trip on the Peace. This will give us several extra hours of fossil-hunting that would normally be spent driving to and from home. 

On our usual day outings, we hit the river about 8:00am (ideally, although sometimes it's closer to 9:00am if we are running late), and then we spend an hour or two paddling to our hunting spots. Once we arrive, we spend a couple of hours at the site(s), and then turn around to arrive back at the ramp around 3 or 4pm, and finally arriving home close to 6pm.

By staying on the river, we will be able to hunt approx. 2+ additional hours before setting camp for the night. After breaking camp the next morning, we will have several more hours to hunt before loading up to drive home. All told, we should be able to cram about two typical hunting trips into a single outing. Or, that is the plan at least.

The next part of the article will detail the trial and errors of adding the camping element to fossil hunting - making room for extra gear, camping practices (and regulations) along the Peace, and how camping impacts the primary mission of fossil hunting.

Thanks for kind words everyone. I just enjoy writing about things I love. Stay tuned for part two in a couple of weeks. Our overnight trip is coming soon...

joshuajbelanger

I thought this was War and Peace for a second...LOL.  No, truth be told, Mike is very thorough with his pre and post trip reports. This will most likely be my last season on the Peace, so we are making the most of it. I'm purchasing a dry suit for the deeper parts of winter. I have camped along the peace before, but usually spent more time camping than fossiling. 

Stupid rain has been spotty, and the river hasn't fully dropped. Although we do have plenty of luck with a higher river, it can be a massive pain in the butt...especially for diving. I do hope to find a sloth claw core this season...I know the rarity, but it is the final item on my Florida bucket list. 

Bone Daddy

I've camped with friends or with my wife on the Alafia, Little Manatee, and Hillsborough rivers, but that was prior to my discovery of fossil hunting. I look back on those now as wasted opportunities to fossil hunt while I was there. 

As Josh said, he is leaving after this season, so we are trying to hit some places we have not reached previously and knock a few more things off his bucket list before he goes. 

If I find that sloth claw core after you go Josh, I will trade it to you for some dinosaur fossils you'll get from your new home out west.  ;)

joshuajbelanger

Deal!  You know I’ll be hooking you up anyway!  You were/are my fossil hunting rock!  My huckleberry!