First bird fossils

Fossil Claw

I just bought my first Avian fossils. Pleistocene bird bones for North Florida.

The largest bone is just shy of 3 inches.

Screenshot_20181109-071928~2.png

• I found this Informative 6

Nice Do you know genera/species? I am especially curious about #'s 2-4  with the "hook" . What purpose did that serve? I am trying to learn. Found a few @ Lee Creek awhile ago-supposed to be Auk. Good post.

18 minutes ago, fossilnut said:

Nice Do you know genera/species? I am especially curious about #'s 2-4  with the "hook" . What purpose did that serve? I am trying to learn. Found a few @ Lee Creek awhile ago-supposed to be Auk. Good post.

All I know is I was told it is several different species. But the species were not identified.

This particular vendor will sometimes do the general identification I.e. these are bird bones without doing the identification down to the species.  When they sell this way you can get a significant deal because they haven't put the time in to identifying the specific species.

I actually should probably move this over to the ID section and ask what additional photos and measurements people would want to be able to help me identify the species.

The hook you ask about is not a hook, but a broken bone.  Those two bones are both the carpometacarpus.  They are fused metacarpals and carpals.  A complete one looks like this: 

Atlas-Carpometacarpus-right-palmarview-resized-DSC_4399.jpg.52b5d93b673f70a249e5ece631a9e3ae.jpg

The skinnier of the two main shafts is metacarpal III and if it breaks off, as it very often has done in fossils, you end up with a hook-like bone. 

Look for this bone when you eat chicken wings.  

• I found this Informative 4

1 hour ago, jpc said:

The hook you ask about is not a hook, but a broken bone. 

Thanks for the reply and info.

I'm sorry that I cannot quite nail any identifications to these; the devil is in the details, and time & tides have had their way (as is pretty much the rule for fragile avian bones).

If I come up with any good guesses, I'll report back.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

2 hours ago, Auspex said:

I'm sorry that I cannot quite nail any identifications to these; the devil is in the details, and time & tides have had their way (as is pretty much the rule for fragile avian bones).

If I come up with any good guesses, I'll report back.

Thanks.

If anyone can find an ID it would be you.

Been wanting some bird fossils but they are kind of hard to find for sale.