Real dino egg?

indominus rex

This is supposedly a Oviraptor egg, I was wondering whether it is authentic. Or whether all the egg shells were stuck on.

6DF546C8-093D-4D4D-B7CF-A12E4A2A8660.jpeg

C9F1E020-ECB9-49C1-9C10-3ECCC10A514A.jpeg

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

I have to say that when you look at the picture, you see staining on the persons hand and all over the tray. It comes off as they just got done "creating" this piece. While this might not be the case it does seem odd to me at the very least. The "eggshell" also doesn't line up very well. It looks like an poor attempt at fabrication. That being said, I am not an expert, but even if its real I don't like the way it looks.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

It is a pity that people keep watering eggs just to show details and thus improve the photographs. In my opinion it is a real egg, and particularly I really liked the shafts of calcite. In addition, the morphology and arrangement of the shells is quite compatible with a real egg.

On the other hand, the current counterfeits have an impressive level of realism, and a definite opinion, only personally analyzing... But just judging by these pictures I'd say it's real.
The deformation may have occurred through common geological processes.
All this dust and all this red mud that appears around the egg, is precisely what happens when you decide to wet a dinosaur egg. :(

But unfortunately I do not recommend the purchase. Having wet this egg may have caused a serious chemical reaction which unfortunately is irreversible without a proper stabilization, making the egg extremely fragile, whose harmful effects if not perceived now, may be later.

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

The second picture isn't that clear but it appears to be an authentic egg from what I can see in the first.  Like Seguidora said above, certain localities in China have a very aquaphilic matrix which can break up when wet and destabilize the fossil.  Depending on the locality real damage can be done when they are damp, however other localities can be submerged in water without any negative affects.

I agree with the others probably real. I had some concerns regarding the reddish colour and staining but @Seguidora-de-Isis excellent analysis of the effect of water when applied to fossil eggs explains away my concern as regards colour. The great concern would be, as stated, what damage may have been caused by wetting the egg!

25 minutes ago, bcfossilcollector said:

I agree with the others probably real. I had some concerns regarding the reddish colour and staining but @Seguidora-de-Isis excellent analysis of the effect of water when applied to fossil eggs explains away my concern as regards colour. The great concern would be, as stated, what damage may have been caused by wetting the egg!

And very serious damage! That can often only be perceived in the not too distant future, where any small batita could result in an egg crumbled with dozens of pieces. :(

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Archived