Fossil identification Weymouth

Mpeckham

I found this a few years ago on a geology trip in Weymouth and never managed to ID it. It’s definitely got a shape to it and rings at each end, along with some pyrite. I would love to know if it is a bone of some sort!! I have more pictures if wanted. 

FA2A1473-3940-4739-B8E7-4B8F7CBD0A95.jpeg

Hi @Mpeckham, I could be wrong, but I’m not seeing a fossil here. It looks like a suggestive piece of chert to me. Wait for some others to chime in before accepting my answer, though. Weymouth has some amazing fossils to find, definitely keep looking if you’re able to! 

Thank you very much!! Oh no!! How disappointing!! Thank you very much though. Yes I’ve found some other awesome fossils in Weymouth this is just a strange piece I never got round to looking into! 

4 minutes ago, Mpeckham said:

Thank you very much!! Oh no!! How disappointing!! Thank you very much though. Yes I’ve found some other awesome fossils in Weymouth this is just a strange piece I never got round to looking into! 

Do wait for others to respond before becoming too disappointed, I’ve been known to be wrong before. ;) It does look very suggestive though! I can’t tell you how many things I’ve picked up and thought were fossils, many are still sitting around my house. :D

It’s ok I’m not really disappointed!! I always like imagining what I could have found. Yes us two lots of rocks, all interesting even if not fossils!!

36 minutes ago, ynot said:

I agree with it being a non fossil rock. 

But it does not show any conchoidal fracture and  is too granular to be chert.

I’m not very good at identifying different types of rock still, what do you think it is? 

1 hour ago, thelivingdead531 said:

what do you think it is? 

There are a lot of fine grained grey rocks.

Limestone is a good possibility, but it could be siltstone or a gneiss or several other types of rock.

It is really hard to be sure from just a picture.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Archived