Dromaeosaur tooth of the Hell Creek Formation (Montana)

Dino9876

Hey guys,

I´m from Germany and have bought this little tooth from the Hell Creek Formation in Montana. 

The seller described the tooth as "Dromaeosaur tooth", which belongs possible to Dakotaraptor or Acherorator. I´m not sure about the identification of this tooth 

and hope, that you can help me.

The tooth is 1,27cm (= 1/2") in lenght.

Thank you in advance and kind regards!

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

• I found this Informative 1

My collection of Uncommon extant shark teeth - Here

My collection of interesting rare shark jaws - Here

It’s Dromaeosaurid, but there’s not enough diagnostic features to identify the tooth to the genus level. Best labeled “dromaeosauridae species indet”

3 hours ago, TyBoy said:

Looks like a Nanotyrannus not a Dromaeosaurid.

I’m not seeing Nanotyrannus. Not enough curvature and serrations look too big.

8 hours ago, TyBoy said:

Looks like a Nanotyrannus not a Dromaeosaurid.

I can see why you see this. Ultimately, I believed the posterior serrations were larger than the anterior though. And they’re not the typical “boxed” tyrannosaurid shape. I wouldn’t be surprised if I was wrong on this one, however

5 hours ago, mburkett said:

I can see why you see this. Ultimately, I believed the posterior serrations were larger than the anterior though. And they’re not the typical “boxed” tyrannosaurid shape. I wouldn’t be surprised if I was wrong on this one, however

hi, this is a difficult one ;)  I agree that the denticle shape on the distal carina does not quite match Nanotyrannus. There is a size difference in denticles mesial/distal, though not as pronounced as expected for a Dromaeosaur. Is there a ridge running down the tooth in image2, or is it a focus thing/my imagination? And yes, the tooth is not really recurved, but you can find images of Dromaeosaur teeth like that. I lean towards Dromaeosaur (Acheroraptor) for now ... but there is only so much to go on with this tooth =)

16 hours ago, JoeS said:

hi, this is a difficult one ;)  I agree that the denticle shape on the distal carina does not quite match Nanotyrannus. There is a size difference in denticles mesial/distal, though not as pronounced as expected for a Dromaeosaur. Is there a ridge running down the tooth in image2, or is it a focus thing/my imagination? And yes, the tooth is not really recurved, but you can find images of Dromaeosaur teeth like that. I lean towards Dromaeosaur (Acheroraptor) for now ... but there is only so much to go on with this tooth =)

With such a small segment of a fractured tooth, it can be hard, if not, impossible to ID.  Tooth looks too thin and not enough curvature to make it Nano which I agree on you with.

The carina on a Nano is typically twisted and straight on a Acheroraptor.  The serrations on both edges look pretty similar not typical of a Dromaeosaurid.  Tooth is not compressed enough for It to be dromaeosaurid.  Vertical ridges typical of Acheroraptor not present.