A quick trip through the Confusion and House Ranges, Utah

DeepTimeIsotopes

Very cool report...thank you for sharing! I really enjoyed those landscape photos...that is my kind of country!

And that sky!...

IMG_4713.JPG

"There is little on this Earth to rival the blaze of solitude in a desert sunset."   -Auspex

• I found this Informative 2

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

11 minutes ago, PFOOLEY said:

Very cool report...thank you for sharing! I really enjoyed those landscape photos...that is my kind of country!

And that sky!...

IMG_4713.JPG

"There is little on this Earth to rival the blaze of solitude in a desert sunset."   -Auspex

Thanks! Everybody needs a bit of desert hiking in their life. Some enjoy it more than others. I'm glad you like them:dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 1

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

1 hour ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Everybody needs a bit of desert hiking in their life.

Absolutely!

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

8 hours ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

:doh!::rofl:

Thanks! Maybe next time I'll have to take some forum members along for the ride in real time.

Where do I sign up?  :D

On 11/12/2018 at 4:42 PM, Wrangellian said:

Where do I sign up?  :D

Next time I want to go out that there I will make a post and we'll work with your schedule first. How does that sound? :fingerscrossed:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Wonderful report and really cool fossils you found :D Thank you so much for sharing!!

I myself would love to go on a Paleozoic trail one day!

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

3 minutes ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Wonderful report and really cool fossils you found :D Thank you so much for sharing!!

I myself would love to go on a Paleozoic trail one day!

-Christian

Thank you for your kind words! It was a wonderful 48 hours dedicated to only fossils and nothing else. Give a shot sometime!

• 4 months later...
23 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

@UtahFossilHunter here's the K. kanoshensis I found at the Millard Co. Fossil Mountain (Ordovician Kanosh Shale) last year.

Kanoshia.jpg

Looks similar to mine, thanks for adding it here!

• 3 months later...

Thanks has been a very interesting thread. Thanks for sharing. And I have a question. I picked up the piece of fossil pictured here adjacent to Fossil Mountain and know it is Ordovician. In my mind I had misidentified it but it seems very similar to the Kanoshi Kanoshensis you’ve described. What do you think? Thanks.

C9FD0B0C-AEAE-4AB4-B934-C578457B9E8E.jpeg

On 11/11/2018 at 12:55 PM, piranha said:

This pygidium is not a middle Cambrian ptychopariid: Jenkinsonia varga

Instead, it's a lower Ordovician pliomerid similar to: Kanoshia kanoshensis

image.png.0baaca8a47b5b510cce9a581e03cac99.png

figure from:

Hintze, L.F. 1952

Lower Ordovician trilobites from western Utah and eastern Nevada.

Utah Geological and Mineralogical Survey Bulletin, 48:1-249

Man Scott you are just on another level :headscratch:lol

4 hours ago, ober said:

Thanks has been a very interesting thread. Thanks for sharing. And I have a question. I picked up the piece of fossil pictured here adjacent to Fossil Mountain and know it is Ordovician. In my mind I had misidentified it but it seems very similar to the Kanoshi Kanoshensis you’ve described. What do you think? Thanks.

C9FD0B0C-AEAE-4AB4-B934-C578457B9E8E.jpeg

@piranha would be able to distinguish them better than I.

On 11/11/2018 at 3:03 PM, UtahFossilHunter said:

My tent at sunrise the following morning.

IMG_4716.JPG

I really hate how overcrowded the campgrounds are getting these days. It's so hard to find a spot.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

7 minutes ago, caldigger said:

I really hate how overcrowded the campgrounds are getting these days. It's so hard to find a spot.

Absolutely, we had to drive like 4 hours out of Salt Lake City to get a decent spot.:heartylaugh:

16 hours ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

@piranha would be able to distinguish them better than I.

I came across “Systematics of the Lower Ordovician Pliomerid Trilobite Hintzeia with Species for the Great Basin, western USA” and now wonder if my Fossil Mtn. picture is Hintzeia? Looking at the plates at the end of this article I don’t have the eye to distinguish H. versus Kanoshia. One of the maps presented with the article shows the authors collected H. material at Fossil Mtn. Well, at least I am closer and have it to  (I think) Genus Pliomera. 

31 minutes ago, ober said:

I came across “Systematics of the Lower Ordovician Pliomerid Trilobite Hintzeia with Species for the Great Basin, western USA” and now wonder if my Fossil Mtn. picture is Hintzeia? Looking at the plates at the end of this article I don’t have the eye to distinguish H. versus Kanoshia. One of the maps presented with the article shows the authors collected H. material at Fossil Mtn. Well, at least I am closer and have it to  (I think) Genus Pliomera. 

"Pliomera" is a valid genus in the Baltic region, Russia, Scandinavia, etc., but not North America.  Other pliomerids are also similar, but the median spines are obscured on your specimen so it is difficult to say which one with any certainty.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

1 hour ago, piranha said:

"Pliomera" is a valid genus in the Baltic region, Russia, Scandinavia, etc., but not North America.  Other pliomerids are also similar, but the median spines are obscured on your specimen so it is difficult to say which one with any certainty.

Thank you. Tom