Different Florida Mitra species

Plantguy

Hey Gang, 

Going thru another garage box of old stuff and was wondering if you all can tell me if these 3 are all different Mitra species. Slight variability in the exterior ornamentation and spire heights and overall shell shape seem different. Maybe Mitra lineolata for the taller spired version on the very right? 

Spoil finds from APAC Sarasota Florida..Probably Tamiami Fm. Plio-Pleistocene.

5be8552392ff4_MitraAPAC2.thumb.jpg.56c932f1fc2969381157158ecac3da42.jpg

5be855221de91_MitraAPAC.thumb.jpg.f3ede7be35cacc3233338870d52b4ab9.jpg

@MikeR

Thanks for any help.

Regards, Chris 

I found a couple of these, but I lack your skills in identifying marine inverts. I do enjoy them though, but I often overlook them in the field and in my own collection. I think maybe I take them for granted living down here where they are everywhere you look (it seems). The one below was found in Hardee county near the Peace.

shell-1.jpg

shell-2.jpg

Beautiful shells!!! :wub: 

You definitely got the family correct, these sure look like Mitridae. 

I think all three of your shells are Pleioptygma lineolata (which is probably the new name for the species you proposed). 

Juvenile shells apparently have more pronouced ridges, as seen in these pictures. So your left one might be a "teenager" kinda shell, explaining why its ridges are a little more pronouced. 

Your tag didn't seem to work (it's not blue), so I'm gonna re-tag @MikeR for you. Let's see what he has to say.

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

6 hours ago, Bone Daddy said:

I found a couple of these, but I lack your skills in identifying marine inverts. I do enjoy them though, but I often overlook them in the field and in my own collection. I think maybe I take them for granted living down here where they are everywhere you look (it seems). The one below was found in Hardee county near the Peace.

shell-1.jpg

shell-2.jpg

Nice specimen! Yep they are almost everywhere aren't they and its easy to overlook them...if not naturally there, with all of the construction fill that is brought in everywhere nowadays they will eventually show up--just wait a few hrs/days.

Tomorrow I will go to work and the driveway/service roads there are mostly all shell material. I pay attention after after a good rain.

We are very fortunate.

Regards, Chris  

5 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Beautiful shells!!! :wub: 

You definitely got the family correct, these sure look like Mitridae. 

I think all three of your shells are Pleioptygma lineolata (which is probably the new name for the species you proposed). 

Juvenile shells apparently have more pronouced ridges, as seen in these pictures. So your left one might be a "teenager" kinda shell, explaining why its ridges are a little more pronouced. 

Your tag didn't seem to work (it's not blue), so I'm gonna re-tag @MikeR for you. Let's see what he has to say.

Thanks Max for the comments/tag help! A juvenile makes sense as I know there is variability in alot of these species over here--its kind of neat to see how they change sometimes as they mature. Here's a picture of a gradual lineup that I just put together. I've marked the one on the left from the earlier picture with a red arrow....

5be8c74800103_Mitrapanorama_LI.thumb.jpg.ac5a50a7cff63644952797d2e7c0ff0d.jpg

@Max-fossils

Regards, Chris 

I think the other side is important also for the identifications (opening length for example).

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

14 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Thanks Max for the comments/tag help! A juvenile makes sense as I know there is variability in alot of these species over here--its kind of neat to see how they change sometimes as they mature. Here's a picture of a gradual lineup that I just put together. I've marked the one on the left from the earlier picture with a red arrow....

5be8c74800103_Mitrapanorama_LI.thumb.jpg.ac5a50a7cff63644952797d2e7c0ff0d.jpg

@Max-fossils

Regards, Chris 

Hi Chris

Most of your shells are Pleioptygma carolinensis (Tuomey & Holmes).  There is a close similarity with P. lineolata however P. carolinensis has four spirals on the next to last whorl compared to three on P. lineolata and looses the heavy juvenile spirals on the body whorl sooner than P. lineolataP. carolinensis is the common "Mitra" in the Pinecrest whereas P. lineolata is primarily found in the Lower Pleistocene Caloosahatchee Formation and uppermost Golden Gate Member of the Tamiami.  The one that you point out is indeed different.  It is Pleioptygma lindae Petuch, 1991 denoted by five or more spirals on the next to last whorl as well as having a shorter spire.  It is found in much lower numbers in the Pinecrest probably restricted to Bed 10.

Mike

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Also compare your P. carolinensis with the shell posted by BoneDaddy.  His has three spirals on the next to last whorl and I would call it Pleioptygma lineolata (Heiprin, 1886) from the Caloosahatchee Formation.

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

10 hours ago, MikeR said:

Hi Chris

Most of your shells are Pleioptygma carolinensis (Tuomey & Holmes).  There is a close similarity with P. lineolata however P. carolinensis has four spirals on the next to last whorl compared to three on P. lineolata and looses the heavy juvenile spirals on the body whorl sooner than P. lineolataP. carolinensis is the common "Mitra" in the Pinecrest whereas P. lineolata is primarily found in the Lower Pleistocene Caloosahatchee Formation and uppermost Golden Gate Member of the Tamiami.  The one that you point out is indeed different.  It is Pleioptygma lindae Petuch, 1991 denoted by five or more spirals on the next to last whorl as well as having a shorter spire.  It is found in much lower numbers in the Pinecrest probably restricted to Bed 10.

Mike

Thanks a ton Mike. Learned alot. Bed 10/Bed 11 finds make me really happy...not sure why I'm so attracted to those guys. 

Regards, Chris 

Archived