Dipleura dekayi (Cole Hill Rd) hunting trip!

Al Tahan

Hello!

Al here, I’m new and I met @Darktooth (Dave) on the forum last week and we quickly planned a last of the year fossil trip to Cole hill rd for Dipleura dekayi. The weather was looking like snow so we called the trip. I woke up today and couldn’t help myself haha. I looked at little falls weather and there was no snow so I went to a spot I found some trilobites several years ago but it is now “posted” and has trespassing signs so I bailed.....side note....does someone know where to go and legally collect triatharus in little falls New York? I’m clueless now lol..........Dave just told me about the Cole hill rd location the other day so I said whatever I’ll go find it for fun and see if anything is possible. Worst case scenario is I do recon. Thanks to Dave’s directions I found the exposure and the weather held out perfect and I got to dig (I only hunted for about 2.5 hours tops). With a few minutes investigating it seemed there was a preference for diggers about half way up the exposure so I followed suit. I worked off a pre existing shelf and it didn’t disappoint for my first trip with little knowledge of the location :). Someone left a complete baby dipleura barely exposed on the shelf and I popped it out easily! Unfortunately part of the cephalon was missing from a pre existing fracture in the bedrock (I should measure those btw lol). Anyways....here are my finds! I used to be the trilobite whisperer years ago in buffalo......maybe I still got it? Haha..In total I found 3 large cephalons (1 is not photogenic lol), 1 large phygidium and the baby complete (which also isn’t that photogenic and a video actually does more justice).  The pictures show a couple field shots and the final product on my best pieces. Thank you Dave!! Can’t wait to meet up and do some trilobite hunting in 2019!

Thanks for reading :)

4193DA4F-00A2-4BEF-8107-CB485F487E48.jpeg

BDE363F8-47A3-4AC8-A0B4-CC0617F9F5FF.jpeg

0B8C0ECF-9023-441B-A3B7-4E4B933FF98B.jpeg

BF75C005-43E6-482A-863A-7206F13C0B0A.jpeg

F89520CA-51AF-4988-AC53-E85B995FCC11.jpeg

2F781C4E-5D86-4BCF-B1E1-1B832A38ECB4.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

I am glad that you chose to go out and got rewarded and I am sad I chose not to go out and got nothing. The way the weather people made it sound was that today was going to be miserable. They can never get it right. Oh well there will be other hunting opportunities in the future. Atleast you got a taste of Cole Hill. Congratulations on your first Dipleura. :)

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Congratulations, Al. :) 

Looks like you've still got it to me. 

Nice finds.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

7 hours ago, Monica said:

I love the baby Dipleura - she's a beauty!!!  I'm quite :envy:

Thanks!! It’s been a long time waiting 

5 hours ago, snakebite6769 said:

That’s a beauty man!! Congrats 

Thanks!! I’ve seen your posts on the forum. You have some great stuff!

On 11/12/2018 at 12:57 PM, Al Tahan said:

Thanks!! I’ve seen your posts on the forum. You have some great stuff!

Thank you. It has taken many hours and trips 

Congratulations. That baby Dipleura is gorgeous. I had considered that part of New York as inaccessible due to seasonal conditions. Glad I was wrong and you were able to take advantage.

7 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Congratulations. That baby Dipleura is gorgeous. I had considered that part of New York as inaccessible due to seasonal conditions. Glad I was wrong and you were able to take advantage.

It was just before this messy snow hit us. Snuck in a last min hunt of the season haha

Al, if you're interested, I do have a somewhat dated and short article on juvenile Dipleura I can send you. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

@Kane I’d love to take a Read!! If you have any good trilobite papers (maybe some Hamilton group stuff?) or anything on Eurypterids I would be eternally grateful!

Al