20 Year Fossil Fish Prep!!!

RJB

A long time ago I used to go to Tucson every year for about 10 years.  On one of those trips I bought a fish concretion that was from Brazil.  I took it home, did most of the prep on it and then for some reason I put it aside and then years later we moved here to Montana.  Well, I found it again the other day and today found out just how hard this rock is while doing about 4 hours of prep.  Still got another prep session to finish this beauty up, but its almost done.  Only took 20 years.  Ha!!!   This fish is Vinctifer comptoni from Brazil and Cretaceous in age. 

RB

DSCN1879.JPG

DSCN1893.JPG

• I found this Informative 8

Now that's a catch. :ighappy: What do you have left to prep on it?

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

4 minutes ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Now that's a catch. :ighappy: What do you have left to prep on it?

Look a bit closer in the 2nd pic and you will see how ive smoothed up the rock on the dorsal side of the fish and ive just started the ventral side. 

RB

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Look a bit closer in the 2nd pic and you will see how ive smoothed up the rock on the dorsal side of the fish and ive just started the ventral side. 

RB

Ah, thought it was fin impressions. It's a pretty sleek fish then. Is the fish harder than the matrix or softer or about the same?

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

10 hours ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Ah, thought it was fin impressions. It's a pretty sleek fish then. Is the fish harder than the matrix or softer or about the same?

The fish material is much softer than the matrix.

RB

• I found this Informative 2

Looks good! *insert joke here about the smell of a 20 yr old fish* :D

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

3 hours ago, daves64 said:

Looks good! *insert joke here about the smell of a 20 yr old fish* :D

In some cultures, that might be considered a delicacy. :blink:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

In some cultures, that might be considered a delicacy. :blink:

That the same cultures that bury eggs until they're rotten, and then dig them up to eat? :wacko:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Ok, this baby is done and ready for the cabinet.  Only took 20 years, so about time.  One more project done.  Only a couple thousand to go. 

RB

DSCN1894.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

Awesome job, Ron.  Well done, sir.  :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Hope you don't mind me enlarging the photo a bit to better show it off a bit better.  ;) 

DSCN1894.JPG.4260dc7b27774331a7ac7f0a0280ca9b.JPG

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

12 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Hope you don't mind me enlarging the photo a bit to better show it off a bit better.

Not at all.  No idea how you did that, but now even better.

RB

Late to the party - but great prepwork you did there (e.g. worth the 2 decades ;))

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

On 11/16/2018 at 1:06 PM, RJB said:

It looks purty dang good in the cabinet.

Of that I have no doubt!

Nice piece and another wonderful prep.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I posted a before and after pic on FaceBook.  Its got almost 300 likes and I dont know how many comments and even some wanting to buy it.   Wasnt expecting that.  Must  be a purty dang nice fish.  :)

RB

2 hours ago, RJB said:

I posted a before and after pic on FaceBook.  Its got almost 300 likes and I dont know how many comments and even some wanting to buy it.   Wasnt expecting that.  Must  be a purty dang nice fish.  :)

RB

What? You didn't believe Us when We said how nice it is?:shakehead::P

Maybe You will believe Us next time.:hearty-laugh:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

8 hours ago, RJB said:

RB

You've done a great job of making it look good, which matters. Also it's just a very fine specimen of Vinctifer, there are many of these fish available on the market but few in as good shape and with as much of the beak still there. You've mentioned that the fish is softer than the nodule rock; a lot of these Brazilian fish are badly broken up when the nodule is.

• I found this Informative 1

Nice fish!!

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

On 11/18/2018 at 7:59 AM, RJB said:

RB

Complete specimens of these fish are rare, Ron. 

Usually, no fins, missing most of the head, and no tail. 

Yours is pretty dang complete! You have most of the head, most of the tail, and some fins! Plus, awesome prep. They are usually not prepped so nicely. ;) 

Of course people are going to want to buy it. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

19 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Complete specimens of these fish are rare, Ron. 

Usually, no fins, missing most of the head, and no tail. 

Yours is pretty dang complete! You have most of the head, most of the tail, and some fins! Plus, awesome prep. They are usually not prepped so nicely. ;) 

Of course people are going to want to buy it

Thank you Tim.  When I bought this, he had two 8 foot tables side by side and piled with these unprepped noduals!!!  Wish I would have bought more!   

RB

• I found this Informative 1