Is this a coprolite?

corporateidentity

Hello!

I'm relatively new to this forum (joined 12 minutes ago (haha)) and was following this thread.  I attached three images of a rock I found in a creek in Western Pennsylvania.  Any chance that it could be a coprolite? I thought it looked similar to the images I saw on this thread.  If it's not, does anyone have any guesses?? Thanks! 

coprolite1.JPG

coprolite2.JPG

coprolite3.JPG

“Too much change is as destructive as too little. Only at the edge of chaos can complex systems flourish.” 
― Michael Crichton, The Lost World

11 minutes ago, corporateidentity said:

I'm relatively new to this forum

Welcome to TFF!

Lets see what the experts think...

@GeschWhat@Carl

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Where was the item found? 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks! I'm happy to be here!

This was found in a creek in Beaver Pennsylvania (little north of Pittsburgh). Was also thinking it could just be some random magma thing but I figured I'd take a shot and hope that it's some kind of animal remains haha. 

“Too much change is as destructive as too little. Only at the edge of chaos can complex systems flourish.” 

Hmmm...Without knowing the geological period it is hard to say. What other fossils are found in the area? I have seen concretions and coprolites that look similar. Without further information, I'm going to lean toward ironstone concretion. There is a shape that looks somewhat like a vertebra here, but I don't see any color change - so it could just be an optical illusion. @Carl may be more familiar with this area.

coprolite2.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

It looks like a "crocodile skin", iron concretion, to me.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Well I've heard that it is a carboniferous area although I'm new to this and so far haven't found all that much.  I was going by the same area today and did manage to find something I thought looked a little similar. But now that iron concretion is being thrown out there, I'm thinking that may very well be what these are! Are there any defining characteristics of coprolite so I can keep an eye out in the future?

Image1.JPG

Image2.JPG

The second specimen confirms the hypothesis of ironstone.

Take a look at this topic:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Awesome! That was a very helpful article. Thank you for sharing! Hoping this will aid in identifying future specimens!

Sometimes, ironstone could have these features, although the scale might be different.

Image1.JPG.39a0245b4a9e37fb308493f4db512e3b.thumb.JPG.3dc7f7633165a9673f8523f710ef7fe2.JPG5beca4669a5a6_Photo1_concentricironstoneconcretions.thumb.jpg.c5ef898bb8b9231e1e67ea718ffb2cc2.jpg

Thomas Mann

My Library