Potential Crocodile Scute?

PaleoNoel

I found this piece on my first ever trip to New Jersey and knew it was something, but was unable to identify it due to my inexperience at the time. 6 years have passed since then and I now recognize the pattern on the specimen to resemble a crocodile scute, if this is accurate I believe it would be my first crocodile specimen from the state. What do you think? It's about 2/3" long.

IMG_E3366.thumb.JPG.6da34ba7b51675f90aa4800fa6019c37.JPG

24 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I think so.

Thanks, looking at some other pictures online it could also be a skull bone section. I understand it's hard to tell due to how fragmentary it is. 

10 minutes ago, jpc said:

That's a tough one.  Can't say more details than crocigator from here.  

That's good enough for me! Happy to know I can add croc to my repertoire of NJ cretaceous fauna.

It looks more like a Croc osteoderm frag than a skull piece.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

56 minutes ago, The Jersey Devil said:

It looks more like a Croc osteoderm frag than a skull piece.

Yeah I was looking at your website actually and thought it resembled the scute pretty closely.

4 minutes ago, PaleoNoel said:

Yeah I was looking at your website actually and thought it resembled the scute pretty closely.

It can be a skull frag, it might be impossible to tell with the wear. Thanks for looking at my website! It will eventually be completed.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

25 minutes ago, The Jersey Devil said:

It can be a skull frag, it might be impossible to tell with the wear. Thanks for looking at my website! It will eventually be completed.

Any time! I found it to be informative and easy to navigate.

• I found this Informative 1