11/11/18 North Sulfur River trip + tips

Koldsimer

Had another opportunity to hit the North Sulfur after several good rains. Once again, fresh rock bars everywhere and my buddy and I went home with our pockets full! I found at least 15 mosasaur verts, 20+ teeth, a nice coprolite, shark vert, etc.. I included a few pictures of some of my better stuff. The 5 points pictured together were found in the NSR They include a couple killers! For the old, pointy rock hunters, I included a pic of all the points from this weekend. Found 20+ in one spot in Fannin county that was clearly a large Caddo camp. Enjoy!

Just a thought... I get asked a lot where I go and how i find so much stuff. I never really give up my exact locations because I work hard to find them. However, I want others to be able to enjoy this place as much as I do so here are a few tips to help folks who are new to hunting the north sulfur.

Fossils and points don't travel upstream after being washed away from their spots. The further downstream you can search, the better.

I'm really tall and my eyes are really far away from the ground- I know this sounds silly but my point is that the closer you can get to the ground the better. I find lots of my smaller stuff on my hands and knees and use readers to really "zoom" in. Good knee pads are essential.

Proper footwear. In the winter I usually use a tennis shoe with a heavy duty 5mm neoprene boot as a sock. I also screw ice studs from Stabilicers into the outsole to keep from slipping on the blue, butt breaking rock. When walking the river, this trick is a necessity after you try it once and realize its benefits.

Points are easy to find once you train your eyes. Learn to recognize the colors of flint and other common materials. Recognizing blade edges helps me. Learn where the indians camped. Lots of reading and scouting involved.

Good luck!

11-12-18 1.jpg

11-12-18 2.jpg

11-12-18 3.jpg

11-11-18 5.jpg

• I found this Informative 11

Nice haul and advice! Sounds like a successful day. I have yet to find a point in the NSR, but then again I have only been there once. With this information, maybe next time.

Awe inspiring haul!!! Hoping to visit again Thanksgiving weekend - cause who really needs turkey when they can have fossils and artifacts...:headscratch:

• I found this Informative 1

My friends laugh at my point-blindness on the NSR.  Anthony found one in my footprint this year!  I had mammoth tusk on the brain, but still... I may have only found 3 or 4 points there in 15 years.  I think part of my problem is my inability to see the material.  Half of the points my friends show me from the NSR look like they were made out of a brick or hunk of drywall, so they are coarsely flaked.  They’d have to poke me in the eye for me to see them.  The other half, like yours, are rather nice.  I miss all of them too.  But the NSR is always worth the drive for those willing to walk, crawl, and concentrate.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

6 hours ago, Koldsimer said:

Had another opportunity to hit the North Sulfur after several good rains. Once again, fresh rock bars everywhere and my buddy and I went home with our pockets full! I found at least 15 mosasaur verts, 20+ teeth, a nice coprolite, shark vert, etc.. I included a few pictures of some of my better stuff. The 5 points pictured together were found in the NSR They include a couple killers! For the old, pointy rock hunters, I included a pic of all the points from this weekend. Found 20+ in one spot in Fannin county that was clearly a large Caddo camp. Enjoy!

Just a thought... I get asked a lot where I go and how i find so much stuff. I never really give up my exact locations because I work hard to find them. However, I want others to be able to enjoy this place as much as I do so here are a few tips to help folks who are new to hunting the north sulfur.

Fossils and points don't travel upstream after being washed away from their spots. The further downstream you can search, the better.

I'm really tall and my eyes are really far away from the ground- I know this sounds silly but my point is that the closer you can get to the ground the better. I find lots of my smaller stuff on my hands and knees and use readers to really "zoom" in. Good knee pads are essential.

Proper footwear. In the winter I usually use a tennis shoe with a heavy duty 5mm neoprene boot as a sock. I also screw ice studs from Stabilicers into the outsole to keep from slipping on the blue, butt breaking rock. When walking the river, this trick is a necessity after you try it once and realize its benefits.

Points are easy to find once you train your eyes. Learn to recognize the colors of flint and other common materials. Recognizing blade edges helps me. Learn where the indians camped. Lots of reading and scouting involved.

Good luck!

11-12-18 1.jpg

11-12-18 2.jpg

11-12-18 3.jpg

11-11-18 5.jpg

6 hours ago, Koldsimer said:

Good luck!

Great advice and killer finds. It always makes me laugh when people ask me where I go. We work too hard to find out favorite spots. Most of the time I can't decide where to go until I get in the truck. Too many choices lol. I can actually kind of tell the part of the river you are hunting based on the condition of the fossils. Certain areas of the river produce better quality and less tumbled fossils. I'm heading to Mexico for a few weeks so happy hunting. :)

9 hours ago, Darktooth said:

@JarrodB Looks like you got some crazy competition! :D

There' s quite a few of us crazy ones who hunt the same area lol

21 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

My friends laugh at my point-blindness on the NSR.  Anthony found one in my footprint this year!  I had mammoth tusk on the brain, but still... I may have only found 3 or 4 points there in 15 years.  I think part of my problem is my inability to see the material.  Half of the points my friends show me from the NSR look like they were made out of a brick or hunk of drywall, so they are coarsely flaked.  They’d have to poke me in the eye for me to see them.  The other half, like yours, are rather nice.  I miss all of them too.  But the NSR is always worth the drive for those willing to walk, crawl, and concentrate.

It really does matter what your eyes are 'tuned' for. I probably shouldn't admit this here but the arrowhead bug bit me hard a few years ago and I haven't been able to see the fossils as easily as I used to. Perfect example, my buddy hunted the exact same spots as me this weekend. We spent an equal amount of time hunting and while he walked away with the fossil of the weekend, he didn't get one complete point. I found about 25?!?!

18 hours ago, JarrodB said:

Great advice and killer finds. It always makes me laugh when people ask me where I go. We work too hard to find out favorite spots. Most of the time I can't decide where to go until I get in the truck. Too many choices lol. I can actually kind of tell the part of the river you are hunting based on the condition of the fossils. Certain areas of the river produce better quality and less tumbled fossils. I'm heading to Mexico for a few weeks so happy hunting. :)

Thanks man. I'll make sure to leave some stuff behind for ya!

My buddys killer find...

jolly jaw.jpg

19 hours ago, JarrodB said:

We work too hard to find out favorite spots. Most of the time I can't decide where to go until I get in the truck. Too many choices lol.

Haha! Same problem here! A few years of intense prospecting, now the problem to choose where to go... Good problem to have, indeed!
Franz Bernhard

2 hours ago, Koldsimer said:

It really does matter what your eyes are 'tuned' for. I probably shouldn't admit this here but the arrowhead bug bit me hard a few years ago and I haven't been able to see the fossils as easily as I used to. Perfect example, my buddy hunted the exact same spots as me this weekend. We spent an equal amount of time hunting and while he walked away with the fossil of the weekend, he didn't get one complete point. I found about 25?!?!

Thanks man. I'll make sure to leave some stuff behind for ya!

My buddys killer find...

jolly jaw.jpg

25 is a good run.  Now I don’t feel bad being shut out 5:0! Hope my post came through tongue in cheek as I don’t really compete with my buddies.  So if my failure results in their success, that’s an acceptable outcome.  I’ve found enough fossils and artifacts at this point that I don’t really get covetous of my buddies’ finds.  As Joe Walsh once wailed, “Life’s been good to me so far....”

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Hey @Koldsimer,

Awesome finds! I am wondering about the type of kneepads you use. Do you possibly still have the link to the ones you got and do you use them in combination with waders? Thanks a lot!

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal