Sacha

Fossil Echinoids of the Southeast US

Sacha

Does anyone have a recommendation for an identification book that would cover Florida Fossil Echinoids? I don't need a scientific paper, just good photos and content that focusses on echinoids, not invertebrates overall since the shells would take up most of the content. 

sixgill pete
24 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

The best is “Cenozoic Echinoids of the Eastern United States” Geological Survey Professional Paper 321 by C. Wythe Cook, 1959. You can probably find it online for free.

I agree with Eric completely on this.

Herb

the U of Florida has a real good identification web site for Florida fossils

Sacha

Thanks for the recommendations. I've got the paper and have ordered the publications. The paper doesn't seem to have several of the common echinoids I've found that have been identified by Roger Portell. I'm hoping his publications are more complete for the local common stuff I'm likely to find. The UF photo reference library appears to have been taken off line.

Bone Daddy

There are a lot of useful publications available for free download in the USGS archives. Many are relevant to fossil hunting and contain some useful nuggets of info if you don't mind skimming through many many pages of irrelevant data. For example, uranium and phosphate mining concerns paid for numerous geological surveys to be done in the Bone Valley region for the purpose of surveying the mineral deposits for commercial reasons. Many of these reports contain entries about fossils that were found, where the fossils were found, etc. Also, data about the underlying geology and hydrology can be useful for scouting for spots to hunt. 

Don't be afraid to spend many hours in the USGS archives - it's well worth it. And many of the publications can be downloaded in PDF format for free.

Sacha
19 hours ago, goatinformationist said:

Huh!  Did you try this one?  https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/invertpaleo/collections/ .  I just left this page and it seems very intact.  Best of luck.

Or http://specifyportal.flmnh.ufl.edu/ip/ ... click on the images box at the top...  GP

I'm not finding any images????

piranha
41 minutes ago, Sacha said:

I'm not finding any images????

Enter "Echinoidea" and select images.  The search parameters can be refined by genus, species, author, locality, etc. 

Select the records tab and click the magnifying glass icon to access detailed information on individual specimens.

image.thumb.png.99ee35e854d34d370f47f5bc1ee4ea66.png

goatinformationist

Thanks for the assist Piranha.  A much better job than my own.