Vinctifer comptoni? Please Help Identify

Willum

Hello everyone! As you can see, I'm new to TFF and this will be my first substantive post, so if you have time I would appreciate any help in understanding what this fossil actually is so I can learn more about it.  I've tried to follow the guidelines for posting as closely as possible (with limited information regarding collection) but if I have made some mistakes I apologize up front.

My wife purchased this fish fossil for me in either La Paz or Cochabamba Bolivia in 1996 at a market. She didn't get any further information regarding where it was collected or what it is. She also purchased another fossil that I'll post later.

I do not believe this fossil was actually collected in Bolivia, as it looks like vinctifer comptoni, which I have read is fairly common in the Santana formation in Brazil. But, I am an admitted neophyte and that is simply a guess.  What do the experts think this is? I would like to learn more about the fossil and the possible collection area and age, and having an actual identification would certainly help in that! Thanks for reading and I appreciate any information. Regards.

CIMG3200.jpg

CIMG3203.jpg

CIMG3204.jpg

CIMG3205.jpg

CIMG3206.jpg

CIMG3207.jpg

CIMG3212.jpg

CIMG3213.jpg

Welcome to the Forum! :)
That's a really nice Vinctifer comptoni.

5be9cc87d2e5d_V.comptoni.thumb.jpg.c90371b5eefaa9765c96218642650723.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thank you for your comments and welcome! I’m glad that I seem to be on the right track so now it’s time to do some reading. Cheers

Archived