Conglomerate rocks - could they be Ordovician?

Kasia

Dear TFF members,

I need help with confirming the age of fossils I have found during the trip to the chalk mine in Mielnik. These specimens were found in the slopes and on the road leading to the mine, so a few tens of metres above the chalk deposits. I have read about the Ordovician deposits streching from Białowieża to Mielnik, so maybe they indeed come from this time? The specimens comprise corals, crinoids and brachiopods. I will appreciate your comments/ suggestions.

image.png.a70d3b5376292b3f674a25da62b19af5.png

image.png.103ead360d52559489434230fd8ad565.png

image.png.7c0294eb990bc54d9fd240d96d79306a.png

image.png.73882eca5250db62f26da966f3acaec8.png

image.png.94961c66724ef4d63b1d8b48f0d0814f.png

• I found this Informative 1

hard to tell but they could be Ordovician

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

The shape of the posterior most glabellar lobes on the circled glabella here make me suspect that this is Flexicalymene rather than Calymene, which would be consistent with the rocks (or at least that specific rock) being Ordovician

Flexicalymene_pic.jpg

Hi Kasia!

Some of your specimens look like the kind of stuff I find in my local creeks (e.g., your high-spired gastropods in longitudinal section remind me of Hormotoma that I find around here) which are from the Upper Ordovician.  Below I think I see an orthoconic nautiloid, too, which is common in my area:

image.png.aec7e4b10457d2fa466618744712f077.png.1652a676a6b77fabfe22e5f82f6d56f2.png

So, I think it's definitely possible that these rocks are from the Ordovician...

I hope that all is well in Poland!

Take care,

Monica

12 hours ago, Pumpkinhead said:

The shape of the posterior most glabellar lobes on the circled glabella here make me suspect that this is Flexicalymene rather than Calymene, which would be consistent with the rocks (or at least that specific rock) being Ordovician

Flexicalymene_pic.jpg

Wow, I didn't even notice that! I focused on crinoids - which I love, but trilos are also welcome (always :) ). Thanks a lot for pointing it out. 

23 minutes ago, Monica said:

Hi Kasia!

Some of your specimens look like the kind of stuff I find in my local creeks (e.g., your high-spired gastropods in longitudinal section remind me of Hormotoma that I find around here) which are from the Upper Ordovician.  Below I think I see an orthoconic nautiloid, too, which is common in my area:

image.png.aec7e4b10457d2fa466618744712f077.png.1652a676a6b77fabfe22e5f82f6d56f2.png

So, I think it's definitely possible that these rocks are from the Ordovician...

I hope that all is well in Poland!

Take care,

Monica

Hi Monica,

thanks for confirmation :) This particular piece is actually my favourite - it contains so many different fossils in pretty cross-sections. Do you think I could enrol it for the Fossil of the Month?

55 minutes ago, Kasia said:

Hi Monica,

thanks for confirmation :) This particular piece is actually my favourite - it contains so many different fossils in pretty cross-sections. Do you think I could enrol it for the Fossil of the Month?

Hey Kasia!

I love molluscan fossils, and I do have a soft spot for orthoconic nautiloids, so I'd vote for it!

I also like the piece pictured above this piece in your sequence of photos - the one with the gastropods in longitudinal section - they look really nice, too!

Monica:)

2 minutes ago, Monica said:

Hey Kasia!

I love molluscan fossils, and I do have a soft spot for orthoconic nautiloids, so I'd vote for it!

I also like the piece pictured above this piece in your sequence of photos - the one with the gastropods in longitudinal section - they look really nice, too!

Monica:)

It's the same piece, just a different side :) There is also a pretty coral visible on yet another side :)

image.png.123444372e7b55330c6696805d65bda0.png