Jump to content
peystone

Thrift store finds

Recommended Posts

peystone

While travelling in British columbia I picked up a couple of fossils, one has something like a fish or strange leaf on it with tiny little oval shapes and shells. Whatever was the focal point of thus fossil appears to have been damaged. I am very interested in what the small oval shapes are as there are many of them and they are on both sides and visible in the cross-section of the stone. If I wet the ovals I may be able to get a better contrast picture.

 

The other is possibly a fossilized sea sponge. Although there is no surrounding stone,  The Pink piece seems way too heavy for its size and I was able to match it somewhat to a piece someone found in florida but they were unsure as to what it was. The seller has had it for about 40 years apparently as it has belonged to her mother.

 

Neither seller had any information on them. Also got two pieces of fossilized wood, working on cleaning them up :)

 

46018341_1299791403496174_117629310172397568_n.jpg

46035839_1056581451169120_5724687739048165376_n.jpg

46081780_2028485417216016_7394128307094028288_n.jpg

46007479_475153596312915_4653254601703686144_n.jpg

46069863_2306141122950416_571865090052063232_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Xiphactinus

The little ovals are called fusilinids.  Single-celled animals that made the shells you found. We called them “rice rock” when I was a kid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
peystone
5 hours ago, Xiphactinus said:

The little ovals are called fusilinids.  Single-celled animals that made the shells you found. We called them “rice rock” when I was a kid. 

Oh excellent that is great thanks! Im so happy it was something living as opposed to mineral formations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abyssunder
19 hours ago, peystone said:

The other is possibly a fossilized sea sponge. Although there is no surrounding stone,  The Pink piece seems way too heavy for its size and I was able to match it somewhat to a piece someone found in florida but they were unsure as to what it was. The seller has had it for about 40 years apparently as it has belonged to her mother.

Are you referring to this one?

 

hpim3354_edited-1.thumb.jpg.16243e1c4834a16404247a057547e042.jpg

picture from here

 

I think, somebody on TFF said that it is a bryozoan, not a coral-sponge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
peystone
1 minute ago, abyssunder said:

Are you referring to this one?

 

hpim3354_edited-1.thumb.jpg.16243e1c4834a16404247a057547e042.jpg

picture from here

 

I think, somebody on TFF said that it is a bryozoan, not a coral-sponge.

That is indeed the one, I would have linked it but in the guide it said no links sorry. The colour is very close to what I have. I will look into bryozaoans , they seems to be very cute colonies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abyssunder

Sorry, I found the topic... Eric said there:

" I'm fairly confident the item in the photo from Fossil Lady is not a sponge. Looks like a very worn modern coral or calcareous hydrozoan. "

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×