Diplichnites/Arthropleura/Trilobite/Protichnites...Help!

corporateidentity

Hello everyone!

I am a total noob to all of this and just joined today! I've been on this website before and everyone seems very knowledgeable and helpful.  Having said that, can someone help me out with this specimen?

I tried to look this up online and ended up confusing myself.  Initially I thought it may be referred to as Diplichnites left behind by a millipede, but another Google search led me in the direction of possibly Protichnites left behind by trilobites.

Is there any way to tell (if any) what this is or what could have made it? 

I believe this to be from the Carboniferous, being as this was found in Beaver Pennsylvania just north of Pittsburgh in a shallow creek.  I can also say from studying it that one track seems to be more like flat rectangles (trackway on the left), while the other two are more like little dots(trackway on the right. Could it be from two separate animals?

Thank you all for your help!

trackway1.JPG

trackway2.JPG

“Too much change is as destructive as too little. Only at the edge of chaos can complex systems flourish.” 
― Michael Crichton, The Lost World

Can't help w/ id but very cool tracks. I spent 2 summers at a camp in Slippery Rock but was tooo busy to hunt for anything!

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

Nice!

Hey at least you think they are tracks! At least that means I think I'm headed in the right direction! 

That's awesome! That's so close but I don't think I've ever been to that campus in my life (haha)

:)

“Too much change is as destructive as too little. Only at the edge of chaos can complex systems flourish.” 

Hmm, very interesting, could be. My first impression is that they are eroded small interference ripple marks. Can we see a side view of the top edge?

When rotated, I'm seeing possible plant. I could just be seeing thing's, but I'm adding my $0.02 in anyway. :D

trackway2.JPG.e5f9736a9c387a8199fd6d7213d78d6f.JPG

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

I agree, this looks more plant-like than ichnofossil. 

Maybe some sort of Pecotpterid? 

Not sure, as the specimen is too worn to make out the pinnules.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, daves64 said:

When rotated, I'm seeing possible plant. I could just be seeing thing's, but I'm adding my $0.02 in anyway. :D

trackway2.JPG.e5f9736a9c387a8199fd6d7213d78d6f.JPG

Good point!

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the helpful replies.

When I found this, what caught my eye immediately were the rivets, and I don't think the original pictures I posted did them justice, so I took a few more under different lighting and also ran the specimen under some water. Could you all look again and see if you see anything different, or more of the same plant based specimen? 

Much appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

rock1.JPG

rock2.JPG

rock3.JPG

rock4.JPG

I would agree with the ID of a very heavily-worn Pecopterid fern- I have seen similar ones from central Illinois and Indiana. 

Pecopterid fern? I'll take it! Thanks guys! :) 

Hoping to find an actual trace fossil very soon!

Look for Brallier shale outcrops in PA. I've had good success here in finding tracks in that formation. I think it probably is a weathered plant fossil you found.

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

Archived