My personal Eurypterid finds! (Litchfield NY)

Al Tahan

Hello!

As a typical New York fossil hunter I have always had a special interest in Trilobites and Eurypterids. When I was in my undergrad in Buffalo I was able to get my hands on load of trilos but eurypterids were seemingly not available anymore outside of Lang’s quarry. I have found some luck at a roadcut in Litchfield, New York and these are the pictures I will share. It’s a very difficult place to dig honestly and I’m lucky to have a half decent little Eurypterid. I really want to dig Ridgemount quarry. I hear people still go there but I’m not really sure how to go about it. In conclusion, here are my Litchfield NY finds!

Al

6C2514FD-6991-4F03-B792-748E5127F229.jpeg

A4B5680F-D83F-4E39-ABD4-FF7AD13345AA.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

What a bunch of cute li'l sea scorpions :wub:

• I found this Informative 1

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Yes, very nice. I especially like the first pic, the one on the right.

We have nothing like that here. It’s all ammonites, clams, gastropods and urchins. I’m not complaining, but it would be cool to find one of those.

I guess not many people can say they have found any of their own eurypterids, so you're in a rarified club!

I'm not sure I would have trimmed them that close, however, unless I was desperately short on storage/display space (or planning to ship them to Korea). I think it's nice to leave some matrix around them, but that's just me.

Awesome! Probably better and more eurypterids than I’ll ever find!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I hope to visit that road cut in Leitchfield someday. Nice to see what can be found there. Congratulations and thanks for sharing. Ridgemont Quarry I understand is available for collecting on Fridays. A number of TFF members collect there regularly and the NY Paleontological Society visits there sometimes. 

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

I guess not many people can say they have found any of their own eurypterids, so you're in a rarified club!

I'm not sure I would have trimmed them that close, however, unless I was desperately short on storage/display space (or planning to ship them to Korea). I think it's nice to leave some matrix around them, but that's just me.

Yea..You will have to forgive me on that lol. I was young and naive in undergrad. I lived in a box essentially and I had everything on a tight shelf which led Me to get kinda happy with the rock saw in the lab lol. Not my best highlight. I experimented with a lot of different “display” styles. It was fun, but it’s not in everyone’s taste. 

1 hour ago, Darktooth said:

Nice! I really like that first one!

Probably the best I’ll ever find unless I go to Canada! 

50 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

Yes, very nice. I especially like the first pic, the one on the right.

We have nothing like that here. It’s all ammonites, clams, gastropods and urchins. I’m not complaining, but it would be cool to find one of those.

There are some giant ammonites I’ve seen in person that my paleo professor collected in Texas......those are on my bucket list 

32 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

I hope to visit that road cut in Leitchfield someday. Nice to see what can be found there. Congratulations and thanks for sharing. Ridgemont Quarry I understand is available for collecting on Fridays. A number of TFF members collect there regularly and the NY Paleontological Society visits there sometimes. 

I think there is more potential in Litchfield but it will require some work. I need to hook up with these forum members! Id like to make a trip once or twice a year. 

Nice finds, Al! :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Ridgemount Quarry produces some nice baby Eurypterids. At Litchfield, keep you eyes open for Proscorpius. I have seen 3 specimens that have come from there.

3 Complete babies.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

2 hours ago, fossilcrazy said:

Ridgemount Quarry produces some nice baby Eurypterids. At Litchfield, keep you eyes open for Proscorpius. I have seen 3 specimens that have come from there.

3 Complete babies.jpg

Nice specimens!! I’ll have to keep an eye out next time I go to Litchfield 

22 hours ago, Al Tahan said:

Yea..You will have to forgive me on that lol. I was young and naive in undergrad. I lived in a box essentially and I had everything on a tight shelf which led Me to get kinda happy with the rock saw in the lab lol. Not my best highlight. I experimented with a lot of different “display” styles. It was fun, but it’s not in everyone’s taste. 

I know what you mean, my tastes and habits have changed too since I started out. I used to do things that I now can't believe I did.  :doh!: