Heart Shaped Rock! Fossilized Beehive, Bones & Teeth? Oh my.

TeaForTwo

Greetings from Ontario, Canada.

What in the world did I just find? I seem to have found a fossil cache for lack of a better term as I gathered a bunch of weird stuff from roughly the same spot.

I love searching for rocks, minerals, fossils or really anything that gets me outside and covered in filth. Trouble is, I'm terrible at identification and I'm fairly new to this. Is this oddity as rare and unique as it seems to be to me? I've never seen anything like it before! Every time I look at it my mind is blown, the natural "heart" shape is insanely cool and I find this things strangely beautiful even with the teeth and bones, lol. (There's a sentence I never thought I'd write.)

I had planned to upload 5 or 6 pics, (front, back, close-ups), but can only fit one picture, even after compression. Any suggestions? Should I upload the rest to my gallery?

Any thoughts from this one pic? Is that fossilized honeycomb? Is that a bone? I know for sure it's a tooth stuck in the bone but anybody know what kind? Any and all info is very much appreciated. 

More pics of my other finds to come as time allows... and certainly more questions.  :)

Happy trails.

DSC01319-compressor.jpg

Welcome to the Forum! :)
I think you have a nice tabulate coral there, the big one from right (honeycomb).

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

This appears to be a Favositid coral, on a suggestively shaped piece of crinoidal limestone, with a possible horn coral as well. 

No bones or hearts here. ;)  If these were found in Ontario, the rocks there are too old to have any of those items there. 
Not to mention the incredibly scarce occurrences of soft tissue preservation. 

Maybe the blobs attached to the limestone could be mineralized veins of different composited matrix.

There is a 4 mb limit per post for uploading files. Your image is only 473 KB. You should be able to fit 7 more similarly sized images in your post. 

If you are getting a message saying you've reached the limit, try refreshing your browser. 

That should allow you to upload more images.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

+1 for tabulate/favositid coral. 

The shape of the rock is due to natural geological processes of erosion. 

This is very similar to the rarely exposed deposits in my part of southwestern Ontario, and may put this as Devonian in age, Dundee Formation. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

48 minutes ago, TeaForTwo said:

I had planned to upload 5 or 6 pics, (front, back, close-ups), but can only fit one picture, even after compression. Any suggestions?

You can add successive images by 'replying' to the topic.

The coral is a really attractive fossil, IMO; a good show-piece. The whole thing has the look of bottom debris from a high energy rip-up event.

Rocks can tell stories, if you but listen. ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

4 hours ago, Auspex said:

Rocks can tell stories, if you but listen

Our Wise Man speaks the truth.

William Shakespeare, another wise man, wrote, “And this our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in everything. I would not change it.”     As You Like It

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

You people are great!!!, and far better at this than I could ever hope to be!!!!! Thanks for all the information and tips. Tabulate Coral it is then! thank you for the quick response and I apologize for my slow one. I'm too busy looking for rocks and fossils every chance I get, lol. With some success.

I've included a pic with a better angle of what I meant by a "tooth in a bone", as it reeeaaallyy looks like a mammal tooth with some decay or degradation. I realize now that it probably isn't, but a guy can dream.

Stay tuned for more questions, lol. I tried to research my finds but fossil identification is quite a robust field of knowledge and I was quickly overwhelmed, lol.

Next up is my over 100 lbs fossilized concretion. A literal "Tomb Stone" I've dubbed it, lol. Also, just yesterday I found a large rock with an over 10 inch crab arm, or pincer, or mandible or something...impressed in the stone like a cave painting...it's huge...it's crazy...it's coming to a fossil forum I.D. page near you soon. 

Thanks again, Happy Trails.

DSC01323-compressor.jpg

Archived