Buffalo calling stone

JustPlainPetrified

A few years ago I was prospecting the lands to the south of the Blood Indian Creek Reservoir (not a reservation) and found this weathered piece of ammonite. My jeweller friend said it was a buffalo stone and I thought little of it until I started to clean it up a bit today. I checked the legend of the Buffalo Calling Stone and found it to be an interesting topic and thought I'd share it here with a photo of the piece. The shell (ammolite) remaining will be quite nice once finished.  You can clearly see the buffalo shape and the broken outline along the back of the large sutures as well as the smaller

connecting suture lines on the side.  Here's the story...

Iniskim (Buffalo Calling Stones) – Pieces of the Bearpaw Ammonite

Although our people began to live as makoyi (wolves) had shown them, life was still very hard and the people were often hungry. One day iinii (buffalo) took pity on our people.

A lady named Weasel Woman was collecting water from a river near her camp when she heard something calling to her from the bushes. When she looked closer, she found a stone that spoke to her. The stone explained how it could be used in a ceremony that would call the buffalo towards a pisskan (buffalo jump).

Weasel Woman took the iniskim, the buffalo calling stone, back to camp.

She told the spiritual leaders about the ceremony to call the buffalo. The people followed her instructions and soon they had plenty of meat and many hides for new lodge covers.

There are numerous iniskim on the prairies. Many people still keep them as sacred bundles. We call on iniskim to help us have successful lives.

DSCN4434.JPG

Thank you for sharing! Would love to see more pics of this as you clean it up.  :-)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

6 minutes ago, Ted37 said:

Interesting, but I don't see the buffalo. Can you outline it? Also, how big is this piece? So, this is an actual fossil correct? thanks

It doesn't take too much imagination to see the outline of bison (buffalo). Rather than outline I'll attach a photo of a bison. My piece is 6"L x 3 1/2"H x 3"W.Bison-Ceasol.jpg

Archived