Purse State Park

Ted37

I recently made a trip to Purse Park on the Potomac. The only two places that I have hunted are Purse and Bayfront. Wow, such different places and with different things to find. I have been to Bayfront a handful of times and have not scored big. Nearly every time I had been there, I had seen people score Megs or Makos. Maybe one day I will get lucky. 

This past weekend I hit Purse park and I am really beginning to like it. It has such a different look and feel than Bayfront. Although, the teeth are generally smaller, I have talked to people that have found teeth 2-3  inches in size. I had met someone that had found that day a tooth almost 1.5 inches. It may have been a sand shark, but it did not have the V shape on top. I had found a tooth  about 1.2 inches and a number of other between .5 and 1 inch.  Lots of small ray plates. I have met people that had found crocodile teeth that day. And had read about people finding arrow heads as well. Now every time I want to go hunting for fossils I have a hard choice, bayfront or purse. I know there are other parks, but these two are about 1 hour from my house.

The pic with teeth shows some I found at Bayfront (top row) and some at purse (bottom row). 

Thanks

purse_20181113.jpg

Hey, welcome to the Forum from rainy Atlanta, we are so happy that you found us.

Your pics are great and we hope to see many more of your pictures and stories.

Best of luck.

Nice finds and report. 

Thanks for posting them. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice finds! I too hunt both of these beaches frequently, and they are some of the best sites in our area for sure. If you're looking for bigger finds of greater variety, Bayfront/Brownies is the way to go. There are over 200 species in the Calvert Cliffs. Now, if you're looking to simply fill bag after bag with teeth, Purse is the better option. No site beats it in terms of quantity. I've found over 600 teeth in a single day at Purse. In case you weren't already familiar with the geology of the areas, the Calvert Formation at Bayfront Park is Early Miocene (~18-22 MYA), while the exposures at Purse State Park are Paleocene (~56-60 MYA). The accounts for the different fossils that can be found at each site. Hope this was helpful. Hoppe hunting!

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

Archived