Stansbury Island Fossil Hunting Research

Earth Chemistry

Longtime lurker here. As my first post, this will be a trip report about mine and @UtahFossilHunter 's attempt to find the rumored fossils on Stansbury Island in the

middle of the Great Salt Lake. The island isn't quite known for having fossils but the rocks are the right ages for this area. First, we consulted a geologic map of the

area we wanted to look through. We used this map from a dissertation of a student at the University of Utah.  We decided to go to the undifferentiated

Mississippian this time. We had gone out to the area a few times. We had gotten skunked on the Ordovician Garden City Formation and undifferentiated

Cambrian in early February. Although, it had a nice view so the hike wasn't for nothing.

map.thumb.jpg.add1cc3fc151b8aac7e5021de991f1d8.jpg

IMG_2042.thumb.JPG.af395bad9b7f53b4c88bfbf45ad2de1f.JPG

Both of those formations were empty of macrofossils. (Microfossil analysis coming soon!) So we went to an adjacent valley where a grassy hill sat where the

undifferentiated Mississippian would outcrop. We saw a outcrop of phyllite but staying hopeful, we hiked to it looking for any fossils.

At the outcrop, I flipped over a rock from one of the beds.

IMG_0497.thumb.jpg.568834b3343fd72013b421a01945ed8e.jpgIMG_0489.thumb.jpg.89291d183ac9d402e4db2593c95ce1de.jpgIMG_0500.thumb.jpg.82ba07fd5b4ad013a6da09814c689763.jpg

Lo and behold, at last, some fossils, albeit slightly metamorphosed. This layer and only this layer is filled with bivalves and brachiopods.

We grabbed some sizeable chunks and made are way out. Stay tuned for more progress on research here.

• I found this Informative 7

10 minutes ago, Raggedy Man said:

:popcorn:I love posts like this!!!

This is just the start so stick around for more.:hammer01:;)

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Fantastic stuff :D Thanks for sharing!!

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

8 hours ago, Earth Chemistry said:

IMG_0517.jpg

OK, we have seen coins, pop cans, lighters, ball point pens, hands, phones and numerous other objects used to show scale. But what is that?

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

43 minutes ago, caldigger said:

OK, we have seen coins, pop cans, lighters, ball point pens, hands, phones and numerous other objects used to show scale. But what is that?

A jeweler's loupe. 

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=jeweler's+loupe&t=iphone&iax=images&ia=images

IMG_4909.thumb.JPG.d91848f455d6d4a6b0efbb892403f31f.JPG

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

20 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Ah, I thought it was some kind of climbing apparatus. Thanks.

It's not the normal shape for a jeweler's loupe so I'll give you that. 

2 hours ago, caldigger said:

But what is that?

And You call Yourself a rockhound?:headscratch:

Can't even recognize a loop?:faint:

15 minutes ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

It's not the normal shape for a jeweler's loupe so I'll give you that. 

I would also give it to caldigger, so he can remember what a loop looks like.:thumbsu:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, ynot said:

And You call Yourself a rockhound?:headscratch:

Can't even recognize a loop?:faint:

I would also give it to caldigger, so he can remember what a loop looks like.:thumbsu:

It has knobby treads... like a souped up Hot Wheels tire.....  I had to look twice also to ID it as a loupe.  

12 minutes ago, jpc said:

like a souped up Hot Wheels tire

:ighappy:Makes it easy to hold. 

On 11/14/2018 at 2:39 AM, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Fantastic stuff :D Thanks for sharing!!

-Christian

On 11/14/2018 at 4:40 AM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Very interesting. 

Thanks for sharing. :)

Thank you!!

While Earth Chemistry was busy today, I went for a short trip to the Madison Limestone on that map and found this and many other things.IMG_5136.thumb.JPG.0df2b2ee3c3b680c18e94f4d5e8eaea1.JPG

I will post a separate thread as the trip and finds are worth a separate thread.

For book-keeping purposes:

Recent thread 

1542813177524.jpeg

IMG_5141.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Recent thread

updated strat column

1543797241895.jpeg