So I had been browsing for some new fossils, and stumbled over a nice Moroccan fossil on a seemingly american website. And they're selling this (almost fantastic) fossil, of a part of a skull, allegedly from either a Carcharodontosaurus or a Deltadromeus (Most likely not a delta). But is it legit? 

Edited by Sauroniops

1 hour ago, Wolf89 said:

You should post pictures of what you are interested in. It is also not recommended to point out any particular sellers :)

Ah, okay, well, just hope no one's gonna buy this before I do, in case it is authentic.

It says it's a part of the skull of a theropod dinosaur. Possibly Carcharodontosaurus or Deltadromeus (However there has never been officially found a Deltadromeus skull-part, so most likely not). Not sure if it is Carcharodontosaurus either, could be a young one I guess, but it sure does look like the skull-part above the eyes of a theropod. So hence the question, is the site one that people here would tend to use? Cause if it is legit, I want to buy this fossil straight away.

dt11-202tr__32923.1535074860.jpg?c=2

• I found this Informative 2

• Sauroniops changed the title to Is this fossil legit?
4 minutes ago, Sauroniops said:

So hence the question, is the site one that people here would tend to use? Cause if it is legit, I want to buy this fossil straight away.

That just may be another way of asking the same question about a seller. We can only comment on the information and the images provided. 

I’ve removed the seller’s name from the original post.

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

43 minutes ago, Kane said:

That just may be another way of asking the same question about a seller. We can only comment on the information and the images provided. 

I’ve removed the seller’s name from the original post.

Sorry, I'm just a little on edge I guess, cause I normally don't bump into fossils like that.

Can I ask if it is an authentic fossil, as well as if anyone may have a fossil like this one, that confirms it's from a theropod?

48 minutes ago, Sauroniops said:

Sorry, I'm just a little on edge I guess, cause I normally don't bump into fossils like that.

Can I ask if it is an authentic fossil, as well as if anyone may have a fossil like this one, that confirms it's from a theropod?

Maybe some of our local dinosaur experts could chime in @Troodon, @Bone guy

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

From what I can see in the picture the fossil looks real in the sense that there is no glue-sand mixture that is often used to repair/enhance/fake fossils.

However, I don't know what I am looking at exactly. Do you have more pictures with different views?

Definitely a real skull part.

What this is are the two paired frontal bones of the skull roof of a large theropod. So Carcharodontosaurus seems possible.

For reference:

illustration-talk-slide-8.thumb.jpg.c39f707ad1d198e8b99773ee768c42e4.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Nice! 

1 hour ago, LordTrilobite said:

What this is are the two paired frontal bones of the skull roof of a large theropod. So Carcharodontosaurus seems possible.

For reference:

5 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

For reference:

I don't see it... please can you point out on the picture above as to where you think this skull part is from? Thanks

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

Lord T is right.  It is not as obvious as his drawing, but look at the bottom drawing, on the top of the skull, near the back is a little 'f' with a line pointing to the centerof the skull.  That is the fused frontals.  

The pics you show are definitely skull bones.  It is bilaterally symmetrical, so it can only come from a skull or vertebrae.  The wavy lines we see on the left edge are the sutures to the next bone (nasal=n on drawing).  Sutures in skulls look just like this.  The line runnning from these sutures to the left and up is the centerline... area where the left and right frontals are fused.  

Cool fossil.  

• I found this Informative 7

Yeah, as jpc said, the bones in the drawing are marked by the 'f'.

So it's like part of the forehead. It's also part of the brain case. Likely a younger animal since the bones aren't fused to each other.

• I found this Informative 4

This part I believe.. 

illustration-talk-slide-8.jpg.927852504af1609e7589993b22f1d7e7.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

2 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Yeah, as jpc said, the bones in the drawing are marked by the 'f'.

So it's like part of the forehead. It's also part of the brain case. Likely a younger animal since the bones aren't fused to each other.

Yea, that was my suspicion. 

And according to the description, it's "most likely" either from a Deltadromeus (which is most unlike ly, considering a skull never has been found) or a Carcharodontosaurus. 

Question is, if it also could be from a spinosaurus or an abelisaur? Has anyone got drawings similiar to that carcharodontosaurus skull? Just for some comparison. 

• I found this Informative 1

Okay scratch that.

It's not Carcharodontosaur or Deltadromeus. This is Spinosaurid.

I'm actually quite tempted to buy it myself. But I won't if you still wanna get it.

There was a paper this year about Moroccan Spinosaurid frontals and how the eyes sat high up on their skulls. This piece seems like an exact match.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195667117303427

Spinosaurus eagyptiacus.

1-s2.0-S0195667117303427-gr2_lrg.jpg

cf. Sigilmassasaurus brevicollis.

1-s2.0-S0195667117303427-gr3_lrg.jpg

The differences seem to be subtle though. And I haven't thoroughly read the paper yet. So it could be either one.

• I found this Informative 5

2 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Okay scratch that.

I'm actually quite tempted to buy it myself. But I won't if you still wanna get it.

There was a paper this year about Moroccan Spinosaurid frontals and how the eyes sat high up on their skulls. This piece seems like an exact match.

Spinosaurus eagyptiacus.

The differences seem to be subtle though. And I haven't thoroughly read the paper yet. So it could be either one.

Aye that does look really similiar, I kinda had a suspicion about it. 

Definitely gonna buy this piece. Would make a fine addition to the collection.

4 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Okay scratch that.

Spinosaurus eagyptiacus.

UPDATE: I've contacted the seller, and given some of the pictures from the article you provided, and the fossil-description has now been updated to that of a Sigilmassasaurus.

53 minutes ago, SULLY said:

Congratulations

Thank you. I'm so excited! :trilowalk: It's also gonna be interesting to see whether it's gonna be taxed or something, considering it's gonna be shipped all the way from USA to Denmark. 

If you change your mind, let me know. You literally beat me by about a minute on buying that piece. It's very unique to say the least. I hope it looks as good in person as it did on the website. You have no need to worry about the quality, they are good people there!

50 minutes ago, SULLY said:

If you change your mind, let me know. You literally beat me by about a minute on buying that piece. It's very unique to say the least. I hope it looks as good in person as it did on the website. You have no need to worry about the quality, they are good people there!

Hehe, good thing I didn't wait with buying it til tomorrow then, as originally planned. Will definitely post some pictures as soon as it arrives, and will most likely keep a good eye on the site, cause they got some pretty good looking fossils.

Originally I was going to wait until tomorrow myself. That's funny. Then I decided that I better hop on there and grab it before someone else did and then I would want to kick myself. It's all good. I guess it wasn't meant to be. Would love to see some pictures when you get it if you don't mind.

17 minutes ago, SULLY said:

Originally I was going to wait until tomorrow myself. That's funny. Then I decided that I better hop on there and grab it before someone else did and then I would want to kick myself. It's all good. I guess it wasn't meant to be. Would love to see some pictures when you get it if you don't mind.

Will definitely do :)