Congrats. Definitely a nice piece.

It's important to note though, that no complete skull or even a large part of a skull of Sigilmassasaurus brevicollis has been found in association with other bones. The paper I linked to only describes those pieces as cf. Sigilmassasaurus brevicollis. So things may change as more material is found.

I also wouldn't rule out Spinosaurus aegyptiacus because from the side I think that fits more. The images from the paper can be misleading because the parts from the S. aegyptiacus are more complete and the bones are fused there. The cf. S. brevicollis piece is pretty much the same part as your fossil, being paired frontals that are not fused to any other bones. But this does not mean your fossil is cf. S. brevicollis.

If anything I think the curve seen on the lateral side fits S. aegyptiacus much better.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Regardless of which one it belongs to, it’s a super cool piece. I just kick myself for not grabbing it earlier. Thank you LordTrilobite for all of your help and information. As always, you are always a wealth of knowledge!

• 4 weeks later...

Personally I'd need to carefully read the paper as I've just given it a cursory glance.

It's a bit tricky because the preservation on the S. aegyptiacus specimens in the paper are a little different, while the cf. Sigilmassasaurus brevicollis preservation is very similar to this piece. That makes it a bit hard to properly compare. But I think you might be right cf. Sigilmassasaurus brevicollis might be a closer match.

It's important to note that it's not Sigilmassasaurus brevicollis in this case, but  cf. Sigilmassasaurus brevicollis. the cf. needs to be there because no skull has been found that can definitely be assigned to Sigilmassasaurus brevicollis.

• I found this Informative 5

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

@LordTrilobite yea. Gonna have to wait and see if they ever find a full skull, or at least an almost complete skull one day, that I can compare with. I think you're right about, that it's definitely a type of Spinosaurid though. So it will be interesting to see, with more fossils popping up down there, if it's going to fit right in with one species. 

11 minutes ago, Sauroniops said:

hope you can see them :dinothumb:

I really glad I asked stunning fossil and really interesting thread. Thanks you

1 hour ago, aplomado said:

Awesome!  Mind me asking how much that set you back?

Maybe a question better asked via PM.

;)

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ