drbush

Dear friends can you help me with this?

It is a horn like fossil , 7cm by 4 cm  , in matrix , the matrix is oyster texture .

It was a surface find under Aruma mountain , 80 km to the North of Riyadh city, the capital of Saudi Arabia.

The area is Cretaceous, Aruma Formation.

احفورة من جبل العرمة1.jpg

احفوره وجدت اسفل جبل العرمة2.jpg

I like the matrix on it, especially the banded, wavey, rippled part. :headscratch:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

From the pics, I would also have said rudist, too, mostly a steinkern. But I am not completely sure. The matrix is really strange, maybe its mostly the shell of the rudist?

I think, I can see the contact beween the upper and lower valve in the first pic, but, again, I am not completely sure what I am seeing here.

And in the second pic, this seems to be the typical cellular outer(!) shell of a radiolitid rudist, but everything is somewhat strange.

(I have only some first-hand experience with hippuritid and radiolitid rudists, but there are many more families!)

Franz Bernhard

Rudistfraglich_1.jpg

Rudistfraglich_2.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

It's definitely a rudist, with both valves partially preserved, and maybe there is or was a rudist colony. A polished transverse section (1-1.5cm below the commissure) may reveal more details.

a.jpg.059f4ab85d78242a6d667547d0bf92d4.jpg06-16pt3.thumb.jpg.e096377ccd6566e0c327d3ec16f76d6a.jpg

excerpt from here

If the specimen is from the Aruma formation, then is probably from the upper part of the Khanasir Limestone, where the rudist biostrome is located.

" The rudist biostrome, approximately 2 m thick, is placed in the uppermost part of the Khanasir Limestone Member and consists mainly of Durania specimens. "

reference: S. Ozer & A. S. El-Sorogy. 2017. New record of Durania cornupastoris (rudist) from the Campanian of the Aruma Formation, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia: Description and biogeographic remarks. Journal of African Earth Sciences 129: 380-389

• I found this Informative 4

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• drbush changed the title to Rudist

I agree with the rudist identification.

I'm glad to see fossils from that part of the world. We don't see ones very often.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg