Found in Grapevine, TX

HannahD

Hello,

These fossils were found around Grapevine Lake. I believe the one rock has oyster shells and turritella shells. I'm not an expert by any means, but are the fossils in the other rock ammonite? Any help is much appreciated! 

Thanks

IMG_4343.JPG

To which other rock are you referring to? I see 2 different views of one rock only... :headscratch:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Just now, Tidgy's Dad said:

Me too, I can only see the turritellids and oysters. 

Good, so it isn't just MY eyes that are going bad..  :rofl:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

" Oo, I heard it through the grapevine, and I'm just about to lose my mind. "- C.C.R.

Turritellids and oysters might be in good conjunction (Blue Öyster Cult).  - just kidding :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

5 hours ago, daves64 said:

To which other rock are you referring to? I see 2 different views of one rock only... :headscratch:

I don't think the oyster in the first picture appears in the second picture although they are similar. I agree they are all oysters and gastropods.

10 hours ago, BobWill said:

I don't think the oyster in the first picture appears in the second picture although they are similar. I agree they are all oysters and gastropods.

The partial oyster bit at the bottom of the 1st pic is the out of focus one at the top (sort of) of the 2nd pic.

I think i see what you see as a maybe ammonite, but i have to agree with the others that it's an oyster shell, sorry.:wacko:

5bedc585bf2eb_InkedIMG_4344.JPG.053b50b0713061c88e0d195bdea1d3d11_LI.thumb.jpg.67b0ab4a4a35c71c34aaf7aa3f6d83b4.jpg

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

11 hours ago, daves64 said:

The partial oyster bit at the bottom of the 1st pic is the out of focus one at the top (sort of) of the 2nd pic.

You may be right. I guess we can only know if we hear it from @HannahD

Welcome to the Fossil Forum from Rowlett.

This is just from my own personal fossil finds, but in North Texas over the last 30 years I have never found an ammonite with the full calcium carbonate shell in tact. Some may have a very thin nacre from the internal side of the shell. Sometimes I may find some with little pieces in place, but never a solid shell.

Oysters on the other hand, for whatever reason seem to be one of the most prevalent and best preserved fossil remains in Texas. When you see fossil shell remains in Texas that have that cold gray appearance like you have there, you can be 99.99% sure it is an oyster, even if it is on an ammonite. It is most likely an oyster encrusting an ammonite, which I have found many such oysters.

From what I can tell those are the bottom valve of the oysters.

Very nice Turritella.

Archived