Unknown Tooth

grendel67

I just found this site my son will love it when I show it to him. My son found this in Peoria County in Chillicothe Ill at a gravel pit when looking for fossils. Most of the time just shells and corals and things that look like fish scales. But this one looks alot like a tooth from the shape and feel of it reminds me of a croc tooth. Its about a 1/2 inch in lengh from the tip to the bottom. The bottom is cupped slightly and smooth and looks fossilised.

Any help would be great.

post-2235-12528166288409_thumb.jpg

post-2235-12528166497765_thumb.jpg

post-2235-12528166707122_thumb.jpg

Well has the right shape for some sort of crocodilia. Not sure what would have ever been in your area, but the texture seems odd.

Yes the texture looks pretty odd! I don't see any enamel there!

Thanks for the replys I could not get a good closeup of the first pic shows the top layer flaked off a little.When looking at the bottom it lookes layerd I will try to get a better picture camera not that good for closeups. Could it be coated with minerals like limestone or the enamel eaten away?

Welcome to the forum from Galveston Texas

Could you get a picture of the end root ???? Look like coral to me from the pictures.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

I don't think it's a tooth though..

I know someone who once found a mammoth tooth in an old quarry in Pekin (no longer there)

Wonder if you are hunting the same age stuff. Imagine you may be...

Welcome to the forum!

Need to see the under side or bottom root end to camera.

Here is some more shots closeups played with the camera a little more.the

post-2235-12529782454066_thumb.jpg

post-2235-12529782515793_thumb.jpg

post-2235-1252978262152_thumb.jpg

Looking into the bottom of the root I would have to say no it is not a tooth. Not sure what it is but you may run into others like it. I always keep my ?-ables for future id.

The best days are spent collecting fossils

Looking into the bottom of the root I would have to say no it is not a tooth. Not sure what it is but you may run into others like it. I always keep my ?-ables for future id.

Thanks everyone for the info I will let my son know to keep a look out for others.

grendel67