Can anyone help me identify this Conus fossil found in Macedonia

Sanya

I have recently found a fossil of Conus seashell in Macedonia, in the region of Shtip, to be precise. I want to know what is the ID of this fossil. Can anyone help me to indentify it? Thanks in advance.

412B6049-8155-46FA-81B8-77754444868A.jpeg

8C44F03F-EBC8-41BC-902B-667B0C8BCE54.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Welcome to the forum! :)
I think your specimen does not resemble Conus, but it might be in the line of Charonia .

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thank you so much abyssunder! I assumed that is was in the line of Conus, because of its plain surface. And what do you think about its age? Below I attached more photos.

A766F4A0-690B-4300-9C62-A0F4344BFCC4.jpeg

7BAA27FD-8951-496E-A077-B27498C82025.jpeg

I'm not familiar with your particular region, but if you can supply more information about the geological settings, it might help in the ID.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, Sanya said:

Thank you so much abyssunder! I assumed that is was in the line of Conus, because of its plain surface. And what do you think about its age? Below I attached more photos.

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

I think there is no detail because your gastropod is an internal cast or steinkern of the shell. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Appears to be a gastropod in the Superfamily Stromboidea.

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

If the geological age is Cretaceous, there's a good chance for Acteonella / Trochactaeon. I have similar ones from the Senonian sediments of Romania, which look like the specimen in question. If the geological age of the sediments is younger, that will exclude the current hypothesis.

• I found this Informative 1

Thomas Mann

My Library

45414802.pdf

This study contains all the information about the geological age of the sediments where the specimen has been found. It is Paleogene...But according to some other studies I have read, the geological age could be Late Cretaceous and Early Paleogene.

Edited by Sanya

So it might be in the uncertain K-Pg transition. :headscratch:

Is the specimen a single occurrence in your finds, or there are more?

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 3 weeks later...

I have done a research, and I find out that similar gastropods have been found in the same area. My specimen is not a single occurrence.