Trilobite looks

abcsefdbfr

Whenever I see expensive trilobites for sale online, they always seem to look glossy and almost fake. I know these are real, but is there a reason for the plastic, glossy look? Thanks.

Not an expert but it could be a light polish. Or maybe they just come like that when cleaned similar to the way that teeth keep their enamel after fossilization and appear glossy.

1 hour ago, abcsefdbfr said:

Whenever I see expensive trilobites for sale online, they always seem to look glossy and almost fake. I know these are real, but is there a reason for the plastic, glossy look? Thanks.

Photos?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

It very much depends on a number of factors, including replacement mineral of the cuticle, depositional environment, etc., when it comes to natural ways trilobites can take on a slightly more glossy appearance after preparation. A light to moderate sheen may be expected from the fossilization of sclerotized exoskeletons, but this again depends on deposition and taphonomy. 

Human intervention can result in a bit more of an artificial sheen by way of consolidants, a variety of polishes (shoe, floor, etc.), and paints. These may be used to make the trilobite "pop" in contrast with the matrix, to conceal preparation mistakes, or to conceal carved or restored elements by making the shell appear more uniform. 

But not all premium priced trilobites are "shiny." Not all shiny trilobites are fake, and not all fake trilobites are shiny. ;) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

But all trilobites from @Tidgy's Dad have a small amount of tortoise drool on them. (no one know's why) :shrug:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

1 hour ago, daves64 said:

But all trilobites from @Tidgy's Dad have a small amount of tortoise drool on them. (no one know's why) :shrug:

Because it helps make them shiny. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Because it helps make them shiny. :)

I thought maybe Tidgy liked tasting them. 

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

18 minutes ago, daves64 said:

I thought maybe Tidgy liked tasting them. 

That, too, she really does, given the chance.:)

13 minutes ago, RJB said:

Where can I get a bottle of 'tortoise drool'?  :rofl:

RB

I send bottles internationally at very reasonable rates. :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

On 11/15/2018 at 6:53 PM, abcsefdbfr said:

I buffed mine with newspaper to make it look shiny. It makes it pop compared to the matte gray matrix.

See the thread here

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

1 hour ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

I buffed mine with newspaper to make it look shiny. It makes it pop compared to the matte gray matrix.

See the thread here

They do that to make it look nice and in good condition so you will buy it from them most of the time

Archived