Dinosaur Provincial Park, AB August 2018

pawprints

This summer I took off to the Alberta badlands. My cousins live on the edge, so their home was my home while I was gone all day every day for almost a week.  I was in heaven! Nothing to worry about except the snakes. I came across everything from crocodile scutes and teeth, turtle back, an awesome raptor tooth, lots of vertebrae, to an amazing hadrosaur's metatarsal and another huge bone that I couldn't get close to for fear of falling.  I tend to take it easy when I'm alone in the middle of no where!! See photos. Can't wait to return next year!!

metatarsal.jpg

croctooth.jpg

crocscute.jpg

croc.jpg

big.jpg

6.jpg

raptortooth.jpg

rattler.jpg

turtleback.jpg

vert (2).jpg

vert.jpg

view.jpg

Wow! Lovely scenery and great finds! To see Dinosaur material littering the ground must be amazing. The teeth are especially spectacular. Hope to be able to go to the DPP someday myself. 

On 11/15/2018 at 9:23 PM, pawprints said:

This summer I took off to the Alberta badlands. My cousins live on the edge, so their home was my home while I was gone all day every day for almost a week.  I was in heaven! Nothing to worry about except the snakes. I came across everything from crocodile scutes and teeth, turtle back, an awesome raptor tooth, lots of vertebrae, to an amazing hadrosaur's metatarsal and another huge bone that I couldn't get close to for fear of falling.  I tend to take it easy when I'm alone in the middle of no where!! See photos. Can't wait to return next year!!

That looks fun! Can you take the fossils you find?

39 minutes ago, PaleozoicParty said:

That looks fun! Can you take the fossils you find?

no, it's unfortunately illegal to remove them from the Park

1 hour ago, Heteromorph said:

Wow! Lovely scenery and great finds! To see Dinosaur material littering the ground must be amazing. The teeth are especially spectacular. Hope to be able to go to the DPP someday myself. 

Yes, you really need to go there.  It's so amazing ... literally "littering" the ground for sure!!  Everywhere you look!

Amazing! 

Super photos and some tremendous finds. :envy:

I want to go! 

Thanks for sharing.:)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Amazing! Kinda sad that most will erode to dust though. Wish there was some sort of fossil permit to take a few unimportant (scientifically) fossils.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Really nice finds and scenery (especially the teeth :D) - making me moderately jealous... ;) can't wait to get back there, sometime in the future

Thanks for the report!!

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

So you cannot take home any of the fossils you find in the badlands of Alberta? Or is it only in certain areas? Cause I was planning to perhaps go there some day, to dig and bring some neat stuff home, but of course, if it's not possible, I might as well go to Montana instead and pay whatever the price is, to get a fossil quota on some private ground.

3 minutes ago, Sauroniops said:

So you cannot take home any of the fossils you find in the badlands of Alberta? Or is it only in certain areas? Cause I was planning to perhaps go there some day, to dig and bring some neat stuff home, but of course, if it's not possible, I might as well go to Montana instead and pay whatever the price is, to get a fossil quota on some private ground.

All vertebrate fossils in Alberta are property of the province. Residents can collect in various locations, but if they move out of province they cannot take the fossils with them.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thanks for the trip report and great photos. :) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

18 minutes ago, Kane said:

All vertebrate fossils in Alberta are property of the province. Residents can collect in various locations, but if they move out of province they cannot take the fossils with them.

Thanks for the information! I guess I will have to go for Montana or Wyoming instead then :dinothumb:

1 minute ago, Sauroniops said:

Thanks for the information! I guess I will have to go for Montana or Wyoming instead then :dinothumb:

Sadly, yes, but if you do go to Alberta, it may be worth the trip to go to the museum in Drumheller. :)

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Archived