Lizard tail in Cretaceous Burmese Amber Kachin State mines

Amber Fluid Neutral

Yes.  The bacteria may have had a grace period before the oxygen ran out.  This is true for most amber inclusions.  

14 minutes ago, PaleoNoel said:

I really don't know about the values and I'll leave that up to you. But is it possible that the transparency is from the internal bacteria of the lizard digesting the actual body after it had become encased in resin? That could explain why it only appears to be an impression of the body (while there also appears to be a few of the bones scattered on the inside) 

There still should be something left in there even in this case but maybe the products of that are transparent which is why we aren't see them.

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

I have seen insects with the same hollow nature but not with any bubbles.  Maybe the bubbles escaped leaving the hollow remains. This is the most logical explanation.  No lizard fossil i have seen is perfect.  If it is, it is most likely a fake.  I guess appraisals are not allowed here then:(  

1 hour ago, PaleoNoel said:

I really don't know about the values and I'll leave that up to you. But is it possible that the transparency is from the internal bacteria of the lizard digesting the actual body after it had become encased in resin? That could explain why it only appears to be an impression of the body (while there also appears to be a few of the bones scattered on the inside) 

Ok.  But i take it is a very valuable find with all this attention. 

Just now, Amber Fluid Neutral said:

Yes I would assume so.

6 minutes ago, PaleoNoel said:

Yes I would assume so.

Still, from my Chinese sources, China is the main importer of this amber, as tge deposit is very near mainland China, i see new lizards and lizard fragments that look very decayed and convincing.  I guess burmite looked at all the hype from rare lizards in baltic and dominican amber and said "hold my beer". You want lizards, ill show you lizards, cretaceous ones at that.  Masterclass" :zen:

On 11/16/2018 at 11:36 AM, Carl said:

I agree that it is mostly likely a shed but lizards are know from there for which the bones, for whatever bizarre taphonomic reason, have either disappeared or become invisible. Check this lizard ghost out:

amber_lizard_daza_2017_09_04.thumb.jpg.5b16d271e5f56ec04a44deb63c5d3146.jpg

I had a bizarre thought on this one. Considering how close you have to shave the amber to show a good inclusion, maybe the lizard was accidently (or intentionally) exposed & then removed for study. People add inclusions into amber all the time, is it a stretch to think someone may have removed one? The toes wouldn't have neccessarily come out with the rest of it since they would have been completely encased. In which case, you would have a ghost image with a probable thin layer of amber glued or heated & pressed into place to cover the void created. Just my $0.02 

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

The resin that eventually becomes amber is very acidic.

Is it possible that the lizard (and some insects) are dissolved after encasement?

2 hours ago, Amber Fluid Neutral said:

I would replace "valuable" with "interesting".

Price of any fossil is very subjective, and "value" is a mater of many different aspects. (condition, desirability, rarity, visibility, displayability, etc.....)

• I found this Informative 3

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

3 hours ago, Amber Fluid Neutral said:

Maybe the bubbles escaped leaving the hollow remains.

The examples that Carl posted do seem to show what could be a cloud of lizard digest nearby, and the gasses would likely have more than enough time to escape before it hardened. Perhaps pulling clear resin into it's place the way an engine's manifold sucks the last of the exhaust gasses from a cylinder.

Yes.  That is my point.  All that would have been left was the cast. I have may insect examples of this. 

This is another one of mine. This time the arm and claw has tissue and there is a ghost abdomen. 175. Hopefully a good buy. The most I've ever spent on a fossil by a long shot, to be honest:fingerscrossed:

s-l1600 (6).jpg

On 11/18/2018 at 11:10 AM, Amber Fluid Neutral said:

Thanks guys.  Worth the 135 dollars or no? Are you allowed to discuss values? 

Ok I understand the policy.