Crabosaurus pinceris

RJB

Ok, this is actually yet another crab prep. I figure its a round rock so I named it the way I did cause so many folks think a round rock is a fossil dino egg.  Anyways, I bought 27 crab concretions from a friend of mine just a short time ago and went through them today.  I picked out this one just because of the size.  Its a monster!  Im used to the ones that are about the size of a baseball.  This one is more like a soccer ball.  Quite heavy too!    I spent 2 hours on it already and have another 7 or 8  hours or so of removing rock.  Quite boring, but I think I 'read' this one right and this way is better than 'WHACKING' it with a sledge hammer.  Time will tell.   If it turns out to be a dud it will be a huge waste of time but sometimes doing this is a gamble.  Ive always said,  "if you dont gamble, you dont win".  These cost me $530.  Believe me, Ive lost many many times.  But with this crab prep thread you can go through all the ups and downs with me.   Hopefully more ups than downs. Dont want anyone seeing me break down and cry.  :(   I cant prep like I used to and this is gunna take some time being soooooooooo much rock to remove, but once down to the crab, either the fun starts,,,,,, or the heartbreak starts?   Gunna be interesting no matter what.   So,,,,,, the count so far is:  2 hours

I just looked at the first pic.  Looks smaller than it actually is.  this rock measures 6 inches across. 

BY001A.JPG

BY001B.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

So you're actually using the scribe to whittle away all the bulk rock? I would have thought there was a quicker way to remove the initial bulk (like sawing it), and switch to scribe when you think you're getting close to the crab? Or does the crab not always occur in the middle of the conc and you risk hitting it at any point in the process?

8 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

So you're actually using the scribe to whittle away all the bulk rock? I would have thought there was a quicker way to remove the initial bulk (like sawing it), and switch to scribe when you think you're getting close to the crab? Or does the crab not always occur in the middle of the conc and you risk hitting it at any point in the process?

Crabs are usually in the middle, but not always.  and ive ruined a couple of crabs by sawing off some rock from a raw concretion.  this way does take longer, but its deffinetly safer.  My biggest worry is,  I hope there is even a crab inside this rock!   But Im also using my 'Super Jack' from Paleo Tools.  A lot faster then using the ME9100. 

RB

Well if it still takes 7 or 8 hours I would start looking for other ways, but you've probably got more patience than I have!

13 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Well if it still takes 7 or 8 hours I would start looking for other ways, but you've probably got more patience than I have!

Patience is the single most important virtue of the fossil preparator. Shortcuts typically don’t end well for fossils.

Oddly enough, it is equally important in the people who send us fossils to work on! :P

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Patience is the single most important virtue of the fossil preparator. Shortcuts typically don’t end well for fossils.

Oddly enough, it is equally important in the people who send us fossils to work on! :P

I hear you. I would certainly not cut corners on someone else's fossil, even if I would on my own.

10 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

It took me a lot of years to learn patience.  Ive got lots of it now.  I  wonder if it has anything to do with the kids being long out of the house?  Ha!! :)

RB

• I found this Informative 2

I've learned patience (ie. waiting), God knows I've had to do a lot of waiting - but tedium not so much, and I'd probably be prone to repetitive strain injuries also, but I guess if guys like you can withstand it even after your stoke, it must be doable. I certainly wouldn't risk cutting a nodule if there was any considerable chance of there being a crab in the space you thought to cut off (and especially after paying good money for it!). I'm glad there are people who love prepping - I think I would love it only as long as it was progressing well. I've had enough frustration just excavating and gluing/stabilizing my troublesome shale fossils!

13 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

I've learned patience (ie. waiting), God knows I've had to do a lot of waiting - but tedium not so much, and I'd probably be prone to repetitive strain injuries also, but I guess if guys like you can withstand it even after your stoke, it must be doable. I certainly wouldn't risk cutting a nodule if there was any considerable chance of there being a crab in the space you thought to cut off (and especially after paying good money for it!). I'm glad there are people who love prepping - I think I would love it only as long as it was progressing well. I've had enough frustration just excavating and gluing/stabilizing my troublesome shale fossils!

After reading this I can tell you that you would not like prepping crabs.   Yes, it is very nice and even exciting when thing are pregressing along the way its supposed to go, but most fossils go on the wayside for one reason or another.  The really nice ones are far and few between. 

RB

• I found this Informative 1

I suspected as much, and I've read enough here on TFF from you and other preppers to know that. Even my experience with my shale fossils is much the same - things often go sideways. So if that's any indication...

Ok, it took just over 4 hours to hit paydirt!   It was a rather boring 4 hours,  but now its over.  The second I hit the carapace I realized that I was in for another time consuming job.  This is going to be a 'sticky' crab!  I dont like to prep these sticky crabs,  but sometimes parts of the crab are not sticky?  Time will tell.  Fingers crossed. 

RB

BY001C.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

@RJB  At least there’s a crab in it after all this time! Even being sticky, I’m thinking this may turn out to be s beautiful crab due to the size of the concretion. I’m anticipating lots of your favored tippy tippys. :D

@Ptychodus04.   With the concretion having a 'rind' around it, this could turn out to be a nice rock?   Depends on the crab.  Lots of room for tippy tippy's but there is never a guarantee.  Sometimes the little tiny legs go out and just desolve away!  But so far I am hopeful and my fingres are crossed.

RB

Well,, yesterday turned out to be a very disapointing day!  This crab is very sticky.  thats bad all by itself.  you can see whats left of a leg on the right side of this crab and you can see a leg on the left.  The leg on the left is preserved quite nicely but it is disarticulated from what i call the 'rear end'.  No rear end to speak of.  This crab just got tossed into the rock pile!!!  Onto the next one.  and fingers crossed.  Fingers always crossed.  Better luck next time as they say.

RB

DSCN1924.JPG

Sorry to hear that, Ron. :( Fortunately, you have a good stockpile and a long winter ahead. Besides, your "B" pile is an "A" pile for so many of us. :dinothumb:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thanks you guys.  Im gunna have to do a serious clean up of my garage and sell off a bunch of these unfinished preps.  At least i will get a little gas money from that.  Ive got 3 trips already planned but at the moment only enough moneys for 1. 

RB

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Thanks you guys.  Im gunna have to do a serious clean up of my garage and sell off a bunch of these unfinished preps.  At least i will get a little gas money from that.  Ive got 3 trips already planned but at the moment only enough moneys for 1. 

RB

Save a few for me to buy from you when we meet up in Wyoming at the beginning of the summer!

22 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Save a few for me to buy from you when we meet up in Wyoming at the beginning of the summer!

No prob.  Ive got quite a few now that have been tossed aside. 

RB