LEFT HANDED WHELKS

demetris

I'm not sure about prevalence, but I remembered they have the common name of Lightning Whelks. Here is a brief article that cites differences from their right cousins, but I did not see a population comparison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinistrofulgur_perversum

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

@MikeR explained it best to me.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Some species are naturally "right handed" while others are naturally "left handed". The rarity factor is when you find a specimen that is coiled in the opposite direction that is considered normal for that particular species.

• I found this Informative 3

6 hours ago, PaleoRon said:

Some species are naturally "right handed" while others are naturally "left handed". The rarity factor is when you find a specimen that is coiled in the opposite direction that is considered normal for that particular species.

This phenomenon is extant in the population of Humankind as well. Those persons with a "left" orientation are indeed rare and most outstanding in many regards, compared to the common "right" oriented folk.

Yours truly,

the totally sinistral snolly :ighappy:

• I found this Informative 3

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

On 11/16/2018 at 5:43 PM, snolly50 said:

I'm not sure about prevalence, but I remembered they have the common name of Lightning Whelks. Here is a brief article that cites differences from their right cousins, but I did not see a population comparison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinistrofulgur_perversum

Hi Snolly,

Earlier this year, I prepped some specimens of this species from a Florida Pleistocene site.  Many of them were mostly filled with matrix and smaller shells  - cool association pieces.  I cleaned the shells, better exposed some of the smaller ones, and then stabilized them.

Jess

1 hour ago, siteseer said:

Many of them were mostly filled with matrix and smaller shells  -

Jess, post some images of those, if you get a chance. Often the jumbled associations that Nature provides makes for an intriguing display. The univalves are certainly attractive shells. I fondly remember the excitement when I was a kid of finding a whelk (modern), as opposed to the much more prevalent bivalve halves.

On 11/20/2018 at 5:25 PM, snolly50 said:

Jess, post some images of those, if you get a chance. Often the jumbled associations that Nature provides makes for an intriguing display. The univalves are certainly attractive shells. I fondly remember the excitement when I was a kid of finding a whelk (modern), as opposed to the much more prevalent bivalve halves.

Ok, I'll try to get a photo or two the next time I'm there for a visit.

Jess

• 3 months later...
On 11/20/2018 at 5:25 PM, snolly50 said:

Snolly,

I haven't been back to visit my friend with the whelks with the shell jumbles inside but check out this recent FF thread:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/93234-running-of-the-bulls/&page=3

Jess

@siteseer Thanks for the link. I had not seen that post and enjoyed seeing the stuffed shells (and the rest).