izak_

Was up at Lake St. Clair, NSW looking for late(?) Carboniferous marine fossils and came across this thing. I am thinking that its a fish tooth but not too sure as no vertebrate material has been reported from the site to my knowledge. Please let me know if clearer photos are needed :) 

This specimen is aprox. 7 mm long 

IMG_2232.thumb.JPG.e9992bfa942984b0e70170e686cc2d45.JPG

5befef3c1638f_ScreenShot2018-11-17at9_32_46pm.png.cdff58bde83b17e092eddce76a061d92.png

Thanks, 

Looks like a paleozoic shark crusher tooth, to me. 

Maybe @Archie  @jdp  @JimB88  @TNCollector  will have some ideas. 

Nice tooth.  :) 

Thanks for posting it.

Enlarged: 

5befef3c1638f_ScreenShot2018-11-17at9_32_46pm.png.cdff58bde83b17e092eddce76a061d92.png

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I can't tell from photos but does the surface have pits, raised bumps, or lines?

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

Thanks for the help guys! 

2 hours ago, Innocentx said:

I can't tell from photos but does the surface have pits, raised bumps, or lines?

Yes, it does have pits :) 

9 minutes ago, Archie said:

Definitely looks like a Holocephalan tooth like Psephodus, if it is those pits are dentine tubules. Cool find! :D   

Awesome, thanks mate! 

Struggling to see the pits but still pretty certain its a tooth, can you get a larger image? The morphology looks a better match for Lagarodus than Psephodus in this pic.

16 minutes ago, Archie said:

Struggling to see the pits but still pretty certain its a tooth, can you get a larger image? The morphology looks a better match for Lagarodus than Psephodus in this pic.

Ok cool. They're a bit easier to see in the white layer over the tooth to the left. So hard to get decent pics haha 

5bf0ac5e62bca_ScreenShot2018-11-18at11_02_39am.png.14dc3cd16d2b57e476f65aa33c2f1ca8.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-17 at 9.32.46 pm.png

Oh yeah I see them! It sure is haha :D thats a really beautiful tooth with the two colors! If vertebrate remains are very rare or unheard of at locality you should get it looked at, it would be awesome if it was something new!

6 minutes ago, Archie said:

Oh yeah I see them! It sure is haha :D thats a really beautiful tooth with the two colors! If vertebrate remains are very rare or unheard of at locality you should get it looked at, it would be awesome if it was something new!

Thanks! Yeah I will get it looked at, just have no idea who to show it to. Nobody here that I know of works with Carboniferous fish (could be wrong) since theres so little material to go around here.... maybe I'll try Alex Ritchie. And thanks for the info and help :) 

Yeah that can be a problem! Good luck I'm sure someone will be very interested to see it. Looking at the bigger pic it looks like the top of the root is just showing along the straighter edge, is the tooth in a limestone that would dissolve in vinegar? The root would look beautiful prepped out :D 

5 minutes ago, Archie said:

Yeah that can be a problem! Good luck I'm sure someone will be very interested to see it. Looking at the bigger pic it looks like the top of the root is just showing along the straighter edge, is the tooth in a limestone that would dissolve in vinegar? The root would look beautiful prepped out :D 

Not sure, will give vinegar a go! :D 

Good luck! I'd just try and keep the rest of the tooth out of the vinegar bath as much as possible so as not to discolor the crown and it should hopefully bring out the detail on the root!

Then again it might be fine to soak the whole tooth I'd just keep a close eye on it and bring it out and dry it very regularly to make sure its going back to the same colors when dry.

Interesting tooth, and apparently pretty rare from any area, let alone a new one altogether. All I know about it is what I read in the accompanying article. While I suspect the OP may have read it already, I'll supply the link to make it easier for others. Congrat's on what looks like a very nice find. This newbie's eyes probably wouldn't have seen tooth on that one. Good eye, and g'day. Cheers.

Lagarodus

27 minutes ago, MrR said:

Interesting tooth, and apparently pretty rare from any area, let alone a new one altogether. All I know about it is what I read in the accompanying article. While I suspect the OP may have read it already, I'll supply the link to make it easier for others. Congrat's on what looks like a very nice find. This newbie's eyes probably wouldn't have seen tooth on that one. Good eye, and g'day. Cheers.

Lagarodus

Thanks for the link. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

On 22/11/2018 at 3:28 PM, MrR said:

Lagarodus

Awesome, thanks mate! :D 

I was just thinking that showing it to an expert before soaking in vinegar might be a good idea. Just in case it is a new type fossil. :megalodon_broken01:

7 hours ago, Scylla said:

I was just thinking that showing it to an expert before soaking in vinegar might be a good idea. Just in case it is a new type fossil. :megalodon_broken01:

Vinegar didn't do much anyway :) tested it on another piece of the rock 

Archived