Good spots for finding fossils in Kentucky

Arthropoda-is-my-game

Okay so I am a noob basically in fossil hunting. I am more of a living animal guy but minerals and especially fossils are a side passion that I would absolutely love to get more into. I have my own mediocre collection. My proudest piece is a trilobite which I bought for $5. I can’t really afford to buy all my fossils plus finding them is always fun. I have a decent collection of corals. Anyways now that I got the background out of the way. I need advice on where to look in Ky. Mainly the Jackson Purchase area as that’s where I’m located and currently limited to. I find most of my corals at the beach at Kentucky Dam. So where else should I lool? Creeks, cornfields, etc.? And what do I look for? I have a basic understanding but not really at the same time. And lastly I would love to find arthropods. That is my passion and fossilized arthropods are my favorite. So like trilobites, where can I find those? Anyone have any locations? Any help is greatly appreciated

• I found this Informative 3

Maysville & surrounding area.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

30 minutes ago, SailingAlongToo said:

Maysville & surrounding area.

Okay thanks! What kind of fossils can be found in that area?

I suggest looking through the forum and the Kentucky subforum here and learn about the geology. I also suggest reading some scholarly articles about the trilobites in Kentucky. You should have no problems finding sites all on your own. You'll be a better collector in the long run. I would also join a local rock or fossil club that takes field trips to fossil hunting sites. 

• I found this Informative 5

...I'm back.

Heres a bone....articles and journals typically have locations of the finds being described. They typically also come marked on a map.:trilo: good luck!

...I'm back.

9 minutes ago, Raggedy Man said:

I suggest looking through the forum and the Kentucky subforum here and learn about the geology. I also suggest reading some scholarly articles about the trilobites in Kentucky. You should have no problems finding sites all on your own. You'll be a better collector in the long run. I would also join a local rock or fossil club that takes field trips to fossil hunting sites. 

Oh cool thanks! I’ll definitely look through those subforums

A year ago I spent three full days collecting in Kentucky. One site I visited north of Frankfort was loaded with Isotelus (trilobite) parts. My over all impression is that central and eastern Kentucky is very rich in fossils. 

3 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

A year ago I spent three full days collecting in Kentucky. One site I visited north of Frankfort was loaded with Isoteles (trilobite) parts. My over all impression is that central and eastern Kentucky is very rich in fossils. 

Oh that’s cool! I mainly look for bugs but the coolest ones are out of my range so it’s cool to know that mu part of the state has cool fossils. Hopefully I can find that site near Frankfort. Me and my dad may check it out in the summer 

As SA2 above mentioned, sites near Maysville in Northeastern KY would certainly be of interest. At some roadcuts, there are outcroppings of the three formations (Kope, Fairview, and Bellevue). This would be fairly rich in Middle Ordovician fauna, with the two more dominantly represented trilobites of Isotelus spp. and Flexicalymene meeki., if not a possibility to find some fragments of Ceraurus miilleranus

Although a bit dated, there are still large sections of this that are relevant from the perspective of systematic palaeontology:

Ross, Reuben J., Jr. (1967) Calymenid and Other Ordovician Trilobites from Kentucky and Ohio. Geological Survey Professional Paper 583-B. PDF LINK

(And, should your hunt not go as well as planned, I believe there is the Kentucky Gateway Museum in Maysville you could visit). 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco! :)

Can't help, but just wanted to say hello and wish you good hunting. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

6 hours ago, Kane said:

As SA2 above mentioned, sites near Maysville in Northeastern KY would certainly be of interest. At some roadcuts, there are outcroppings of the three formations (Kope, Fairview, and Bellevue). This would be fairly rich in Middle Ordovician fauna, with the two more dominantly represented trilobites of Isotelus spp. and Flexicalymene meeki., if not a possibility to find some fragments of Ceraurus miilleranus

Although a bit dated, there are still large sections of this that are relevant from the perspective of systematic palaeontology:

Ross, Reuben J., Jr. (1967) Calymenid and Other Ordovician Trilobites from Kentucky and Ohio. Geological Survey Professional Paper 583-B. PDF LINK

(And, should your hunt not go as well as planned, I believe there is the Kentucky Gateway Museum in Maysville you could visit). 

Oh awesome! Unfortunately I don’t when I’ll ever get the chance to head out to Maysville. I would definitely love to check the area out though. I’ll have my license soon so I might get an opportunity then

3 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco! :)

Can't help, but just wanted to say hello and wish you good hunting. 

Thank you very much! TFF has been very helpful so far

Orphanage Rd, Covington, KY has a large road cut easily accessible. My son found a weathered but nearly complete Ceraurus although originally id'd as Acidaspis. You might want to consider joining the Dry Dreggers and they have a great website full of information on the area sites and fossils. 

http://drydredgers.org

• I found this Informative 1

• 9 months later...

Saying hello as a fellow West Kentuckian! I walk creek beds. In all the times I've been to the Dam in my life, I've only been once fossil hunting! Can hardly wait to go back. Haven't found a trilobite yet. There's a LOT of this area, (Jackson Purchase/extreme West KY), that the paleontologists, on the UofK website at least, say has not been studied. I'm pretty new to this myself, but I'm doing as much researching as I can. (I think it helps to confuse me more somehow!) It seems as if a lot of the creek walkers around here are looking for artifacts, and pass up fossils. I find all kinds on the surface, how about yourself? Did you see on the news where someone found a Megalodon tooth at the Lake not long ago? That REALLY keeps my hopes up! Good luck to you!